PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning recommendations, what do you use?

bomofish
10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, im looking to try and get a shine back on my pan. It was an older one when i got it but i would love to get it looking better.

Is there anything special i can do to make that happen? What do you guys use for cleaning ? anything helps, brushes, cleaning solutions, methods, etc

Thanks!

DrTimPerkins
10-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Is it made of stainless steel or English tin? Is the evaporator soldered or welded? It is clean (other than not being shiny) with all the niter out of it, or does it still have niter on the pans?

cncaboose
10-15-2013, 08:30 PM
If it is welded stainless I would use milk stone remover, a mild acid available at Tractor Supply and other dairy supply stores.

markcasper
10-15-2013, 11:56 PM
I had never tried vinegar before until this year. I just got done cleaning up my new pans and was quite happy. I filled the back pan with water a few weeks ago and mixed in 6 gallons of white vinegar. Drained some of that to fill the front pan this past weekend and let it sit until yesterday. I only used a soft cloth. I drained the mixture out with just a trace left in. Where the sand needed some elbow grease, I used baking soda and it came off pretty easy.

I never cleaned my pans the whole season so they were pretty dirty, I do however run permeate through usually after every boil and that helps alot. I used to use muratic acid, but that stuff is hard on the metal finish and hard on your hands to, but it will get it off. I used to use a stainless scouring pad, but opted not to since it scratches the pans pretty good. The baking soda and vinegar worked well for me. The new raised flue Leader pan seems alot easier and faster to clean than the old KING pan and less time as well.

SeanD
10-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Vinegar works well, but it does take time, sometimes a lot. It works pretty quickly on sand, but scale is tougher. How long of a soak does milkstone remover need for a typical season's worth of scale?

Sean

Shawn
10-16-2013, 06:07 AM
I use white vinegar and let my front pan soak for a couple of days then take the second front pan and do the same when its needed to clean. Do the same with the back pan. Seems to work well. After a good soaking and scrubbing it comes clean.

Big_Eddy
10-16-2013, 09:44 AM
It was an older one when i got it but i would love to get it looking better.

If there is any chance it is lead soldered or galvanized - do not clean it. Cleaning will just expose new lead / contaminants that get absorbed in your syrup.

For welded stainless pans - see suggestions above.

bomofish
10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys, i believe it is welded stainless. For the vinegar option would I let it soak with water? and should i get a small boil going to maybe have an easier time scrubbing?

markcasper
10-18-2013, 02:51 PM
you could heat it up, doesn't hurt. I didn't because its another job and i could tolerate the temperature. The key i found when doing the vinegar thing was the baking soda for areas that were not coated, i.e.,,top of pan. I only used a average sized box and a half for whole 4x12. Baking soda is key after soaking with vinegar.

SeanD
10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
How do you clean with the baking soda? Do you make a paste with water and scrub with a brush or are you getting it to react with the leftover drops of vinegar and leaving it on?

Sean

SeanD
10-18-2013, 06:21 PM
How do you clean with the baking soda? Do you make a paste with water and scrub with a brush or are you getting it to react with the leftover drops of vinegar and leaving it on?

Sean

markcasper
10-19-2013, 06:11 AM

SeanThe areas that were submersed (flue pan) with vinegar did not require any soda. Up towards the top of the pan and much of the front pan required the use of the baking soda. I drained everything out and left a trace, then dump a fair gob onto the cloth and start working it, while at the same time keeping it damp with vinegar solution. The areas on the top were scrubbed with just vinegar and I was going no where, thats when I tried the baking soda. Dump small amounts of soda at a time as not to waste it. There were very few areas where it wouldn't work. Theres maybe 5% total that I need to touch up on yet, but I was pretty pleased.

red maples
10-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Vinegar works really good through the season. no so much on scale though. I drain the add a white vinegar water solution. the heat combined with the acid in the vin. just peals it right off even the tough corner spots at the end of the season I fill the whole thing and boil it out good then let it sit for a few days drain and rinse really good. The pans come off to be powerwashed and inside and out.

Is there a polishing compound you can use for welded stainless on the outside of the pans? I have a few spots that are scratch and would like to buff those out if anyone knows of something that would do the trick Please let me know!!! My arch is also stainless and has a few spots I would like to polish as well!!!

SeanD
10-20-2013, 05:40 PM
The areas that were submersed (flue pan) with vinegar did not require any soda. Up towards the top of the pan and much of the front pan required the use of the baking soda. I drained everything out and left a trace, then dump a fair gob onto the cloth and start working it, while at the same time keeping it damp with vinegar solution. The areas on the top were scrubbed with just vinegar and I was going no where, thats when I tried the baking soda. Dump small amounts of soda at a time as not to waste it. There were very few areas where it wouldn't work. Theres maybe 5% total that I need to touch up on yet, but I was pretty pleased.

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

markcasper
10-21-2013, 07:07 AM
I'll give that a try. Thanks.I don't know if I mentioned.......but I had it soak in the flue pan for a few weeks and the front pan for at least 4 days. I think letting it sit a bit first is important.

axe
01-23-2015, 09:55 AM
I am guessing that you do not use the milk stone remover straight from the bottle. What dilution do you use? Do you heat the pan and to what temperature?

Ravenseye
01-23-2015, 10:23 AM
I let the stainless steel pan soak for a while with vinegar. After that, I use some Bar Keepers Friend solution and they clean right up. I use the stuff on my SS range, dishwasher and fridge too.