PDA

View Full Version : 5x12 steam hood dimensions

morningstarfarm
10-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Just got the word from leader that they are booked out on steam hoods until may...so on to plan b...found a guy local at will make me one out of alum for about the same price...big question is what are the dimensions?...obviously 5x8 to match my flu pan...but how about height and how much angle on the sides?
As always, any help is appreciated...

maple flats
10-11-2013, 05:12 AM
You will quickly find out that 5x8 is not what your pan measures if it was made by Leader. Get exact measurements. Next design it with about 1.5 or better yet 2" wide gutter all around to catch condensate. Then My hood I made measured 8" high straight up, then 10" at an angle (mine was close to 45 degrees but being wider you may want it slightly flatter) then the top was flat. On my commercially made hood by Thor (you could easily drive up to get it) is very similar in dimensions but the angle is less steep and at the top of the angle is a 2" high vertical rib with 4 lift holes, then the top is flat at the bottom of the rib. In this flat is the steam stack take off and a light mounting hole. My hood by Thor is all SS, it has 2 real nice doors each side. It is all bright SS except the out of sight top flat is SS but not bright. Then under the steam stack they have an inverted funnel of SS with a drain hole to channel condensate to the gutter and then each corner has a fitting to chose where you want to drain the condensate out. Thor does real nice work and they have things ready when promised, and they weld flawlessly and best of all, the price is about 1/3-1/2 of Leader's price.

NH Maplemaker
10-11-2013, 08:27 AM
morningstarfarm,check out Andress sheet metal on photobucket! This Guy does unbelievable work! Also He is in Plainfield New Hampshire. Make sure you look through all the photos so you don't miss the ones of his maple stuff! Hope this helps!