PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recently Tin a pan ?

smokeyamber
10-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Have a set of steel pans, was thinking of tining them ( lead free of course ), anyone done this recently and if so what materials did you use ? Seems like you need a flux and some tin as well as Map gas to heat up the pans and you then work the melted tin in as a thin coating ?

smokeyamber
10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
So no feedback on this yet, figured it would be slow this time of year. Keep in mind they make lead free tin, flux and that re-tinning smaller cooking pots is common since people love copper pots, but you can't have acid in them for you will get sick. I have found information on the tinning process http://www.finishing.com/255/53.shtml as well as supplies such as the flux, tin ingots ( lead free ) and even melting pot for the tin. So far it's looking not too hard to do this.

Reason for this is I have steel pans, which worked fine first season, but second season had a metallic taste in the syrup. I believe this came from the sides of the pans above the sap line that developed surface rust during the boiling.

And, yes I will eventually go stainless... this is just a way to let me boil this season. I also hate to throw out my pans, with tinning on them they should last a long time and since it will all be lead free I can move them on to someone else who is just starting out. If I try this process I will document it as well for anyone who is interested.

smokeyamber
01-16-2015, 06:39 PM
So I have the tin, will be using a natural flux and hope to test the process this weekend. Push is on to prep for this season.

handtapper
01-16-2015, 07:43 PM
I dont know anything about tinning a pan but it doesnt sound simple. I wanted to comment though on your arch in your signature. A dryer? Holy smokes!! Im looking at my dryer as I type this wishing the loaded laundry basket was the firewood cart and I was about to load the stove. Looking at your plans your one serious macgyver

Sugarmaker
01-17-2015, 07:49 AM
I did 5 min look on web and found just a little information on home tinning. Sounds like more of a dip process at elevated bath temps? Wondering how your going to do this on a big pan? Be careful and safe.
Look to upgrade to stainless pan/s you will never look back. Make the investment. There are some good pan builders that might still be able to help you this season. Try Mason.
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
01-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Smoky, I haven't tinned a pan, but I have soldered SS, and copper fittings to SS. I used the Sal Ammoniac mentioned in the link you showed as my flux. It worked ver well. I got it from an old tinsmith (died a few yrs. ago), he instructed me on soldering SS.
Tinning may be very similar.

smokeyamber
01-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I will be reporting back on how the process goes...