PDA

View Full Version : Filter Press Cart

Amber Gold
10-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a 7" CI full bank press and want to get a cart for it, so it's easily moved around and at a good level. I'm thinking a stainless medical cart like this (http://www.amazon.com/Tier-New-Stainless-Steel-Cart/dp/B000V76GEQ/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1380901819&sr=8-35&keywords=stainless+medical+cart) or maybe this (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Utility-Cart-300-Lbs/dp/B00B3ABW7Q/ref=sr_1_72?ie=UTF8&qid=1380902150&sr=8-72&keywords=stainless+medical+cart)one would do the trick. Has anyone else tried this or have thoughts? I got a cheap, steel cart from work for free, but that was an utter failure...weak design. The cart in the link looks stronger than the one I tried and is rated for 300 lbs.

Thanks for the input.

jmayerl
10-04-2013, 02:46 PM
I have the second one and got it for free from a hospital reno job. Works good

tuckermtn
10-04-2013, 07:12 PM
I have a C shaped hospital food service cart for our short bank CDL press. The black frame of the press fits perfectly in the top of the cart and the air diaphram pump sits on the bottom. Not ideal since it is a bit bigger than it needs to be and the drip tray on the press is hard to get out since it bumps in to the vertical section of the cart.

I have actually been considering getting one of the ones made by CDL, but not sure if it is in the budget this year.

maple flats
10-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I too have been looking into cart options. I have a 5 bank 7" press. I was looking at SS carts similar to the links you posted, but I believe I'd not consider one over $300 since that is so close to what the official tiltable carts by the maple companies get. If I was going to pay that, I'd get the real thing.

Amber Gold
10-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Good point. I checked the catalogues and D&G sells one for $280 and Lapierre/CDL are around $400.

10-11-2013, 05:35 AM
The DG one is meant to cradle a DG filter press and unless it comes with the cradle part I don't know how well it will work but it may come with it I don't know I bought it all at the same time andi love it it works amazing both the stand and the filter press.

red maples
10-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Time to by a welder and hit the dump or scrap metal yard!!! I was thinking about getting a little machine myself for little projects!!! They you can design them how ever you like with shelves for papers whatever!!!

BreezyHill
10-11-2013, 03:33 PM
The 115 volt portable mig welders and the correct wire and almost any body can weld. I had one of those units and it worked great for going into the feed mixer or working on farm equipment up to 3/16" beyond that you need a larger machine that will be a 230 volt. Mine is still considered portable as it is under 175# but it is rough on the shoulders to lug up stairs. But it will do aluminum, mild and stainless steels. You can reverse the polarity for jobs also. Miller is the manufacturer. Don't by the long leads to the gun as it will bind the wire in it. 8' is good. Spoolon guns are great but they are pricey.
Good Luck!

Amber Gold
10-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Good point 500592. I have an old Grimm filter press with the standard cradle it came with. I'll have to find out if my cradle will work with the D&G stand. One thing I like about the maple stands is they tilt which makes putting the plates back together easier. I use two dowels, but it still takes a bit.

One thing I liked about the medical cart is the shelf to put the filter paper box on and I was thinking a bracket with two long bolts good be attached to it to support press plates. We frequently run a partial press and it'd be nice to have someplace to put the extra plates out of the way. I'd have to look at the maple made stands to see if something like this could be easily be added to it.

Ski Bum
10-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I use a 2 shelf plastic utility cart from Northern Tool. Filer press on top shelf, motor on lower one. When ready to filter the motor and pump sit on the counter next to my finishing tank. Unit rolls well when I need to store it.

gearpump
11-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Josh this is what you need. Like Brad said, its pretty easy to make and only cost about $40 for the casters.

Amber Gold
11-03-2013, 05:53 AM
That's just what I'm looking for, although tiltable would be nice, but not necessary. You made that yourself...I've never welded in my life. Some people make it look easy. You have a spot for extra plates and for the filter paper box...looks well built. Wish I'd known yesterday...drove by on my way to Larry's. I'll stop in the next time I'm heading that way. Where'd you get the casters?

gearpump
11-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Tiltable would have been nice. The casters came from Woodcraft . I think they are the best out there for the money. I am a tool and die fabricator by trade so if I see something out there I like I just build it myself.

red maples
11-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Welding is fun my Dad taught me when I was a kid but I am WAY out of practice I haven't welded in YEARS!!! but it comes back pretty quick.

morningstarfarm
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Just bought a 3 shelf unit at SAMs club cost 60 bucks and is rated for 500 lbs...my 7" full bank fits on the top nicely and a box of filter papers fits on the bottom...middle shelf holds the hoses well...it's not stainless but should work nicely...

unc23win
11-04-2013, 08:18 AM
If you are looking to buy a stainless steel cart this site might help.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/stainless-steel-3-shelf-utility-cart-16-1-4-x-27-1-2-x-32-1-8/32790312.html
or
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-knocked-down-stainless-steel-2-shelf-utility-cart-28-x-16-x-32/922T00020.html

Looks like lots of options from $69.99 to $899.

fhedmark
11-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Just bought a 3 shelf unit at SAMs club cost 60 bucks and is rated for 500 lbs...my 7" full bank fits on the top nicely and a box of filter papers fits on the bottom...middle shelf holds the hoses well...it's not stainless but should work nicely...

I purchased the same cart from Sam's Club. My full bank filter press fits on the cart perfectly.

Amber Gold
11-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Gearpump, Can you get me the dimensions for your cart? Also, which casters did you get from woodcraft? I'm going to look to see if I can modify it to be tiltable. I think I'm going to eliminate my press frame and build something on the cart to mount the plates too.