PDA

View Full Version : Getting excited for the 2014 season.

zachhll
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
So we finally have a decent set up we have a 3 year old 2x6 and a freshly built sugarshack. We are located in Sackets Harbor NY hoping to have 150-200 taps this year. Im looking for used buckets and taps if anybody in the area knows of any that would be awesome. I'm also wondering when people in this area start tapping we have done it for a few years now but never seem to start early enough?

Algonquin
11-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm right there with you, can't wait to get started, even though I'm only at 35 taps, but the new rig is going to be fun (1/2 pint). I really don't know when to tap in the Albany area either. They say that there is usually a early run in Jan, then the main run in mid Feb. on thru mid Mar. I'm wondering how to keep the taps open for that long when the sap stops for a couple of weeks.

maple flats
11-02-2013, 07:00 AM
You must have some larger producers near you, start shortly after they do, likely late Jan or early Feb. That said, you will be cold later than I am (but the lake might change that). I don't like to tap too far ahead only because I don't like tapping frozen trees. However the big boys all do. I watch the long range forecast and start tapping with the first hint of sap flow temperatures, after the "Jan. thaw".