PDA

View Full Version : Cam Locks?

syrup2nv
09-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Is anybody using camlocks in a Hi-Vac Tubing System?

BreezyHill
09-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Yes. I have been using them for years. Every line has atleast one right in the sap house. One line has several due to woods road crossings.
There are a few tricks I learned from 20 years of trucking molasses in the feed industry. Ways to get better seals, safety locks, etc.

Whats up?

Ben

Mark-NH
09-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I use them too. My limited experience has shown me to spend the extra
$. I also learned the ones with the pipe fittings built in do not seal well.

BAP
09-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Second that on the ones with barbed pipe fittings built in not being the correct size for tubing, they are designed for hose. Works best to get the ones with pipe threads and screw in an adapter from pipe to barb fitting to get a better seal. They make it a lot easy in areas where you have to take the main line down in the off season.

Sullydog
09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
I use quite a few and the barbs do not fit the hose as mentioned, we just heat up the tubing with a map gas torch and then use two hose clamps each facing different directions and that seems to work fine. Black water pipe needs more heat than the blue sap tubing. Other than that we have had no issues running them on high vacuum.

unc23win
09-29-2013, 08:19 PM
I have had no issues with the Cam Locks with the barbed fittings leaking. All barb fittings are hard to install with big pipe, but depending on which ones you get the barbs are longer I always double clamp. Once you learn the right amount of heat no problem and man the shoulders feel better.

BreezyHill
09-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Little trick to cam lock installation: Start the barb fitting into the pipe with both hands...once started place pipe in left hand and pick up your rubber mallet...drive the cam lock into the pipe...usually two hits will driver her home...place clamp closest to the fitting first then if a second is needed place further up pipe on barb fitting. Cable guy had a rule:" You never saddle a dead horse"...never put the clamp on the pipe at the barb end then onto the dead end of the pipe. This creates a lose space of pipe that will create leaks or on a cable will create a slip point.
Heating the pipe will cause issues with pipe integrity down the road...bin there did that...sucks like hell!

If in the future you find you have a rubber that is bad or starting to leak...place a section of plastic strapping under the metal lock handle and close the lock. The small extra space will buy you some time to buy a new rubber...this only works on cam locks.LOL

BreezyHill
09-30-2013, 08:08 AM
On the threaded ones use some pipe dope to seal the threads...also makes a lot easier to get them off if you need. Use dope that is good for plastic, black iron dope will damage the plastic making it very brittle.