PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator plans/ ideas anyone? for an elementary school

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
This year I was so glad to learn that our school will have a sugar shack this year. This will be our sixth season and since we will have a shack...next on the list is an evaporator. There are a few talented parents in my class when it comes to welding and building...can anyone point me in the direction for making a hobby sized evaporator? We are a non-profit school that uses the Maple Season as a way to teach elementary school aged children. check out other posts
www.bugsmudbooksandsticks.com.....Any help I can get in finding evaporator plans, where to get parts etc will be a huge help.

Thanks,

delivron
09-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Find a supplier of syrup in quarts purchase at about $12.00 sell around $17.00 to 19.00. Use the profit to purchase a new evaporator new or used.
Other alternatives include building your own arch and buying pans and doors from almost any of the many evaporator manufactures. Finding a skillful welder who can weld 304 SS can be challenging at best.

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
09-24-2013, 07:49 AM
We are way too small for that and we have the skilled welder already...trying to go with building our own.

sg5054
09-24-2013, 08:44 AM
My first 2 years I used a 55 gallon drum, a barrel stove kit and a large steam table pan set in an opening cut into the barrel. Inexpensive and it worked like a charm. Put some bricks in the bottom inside.

Maple Ridge
09-30-2013, 10:43 AM
They make a small evaperator called a half pint which would work great for you and the childern. People trade them in for larger ones. There may be a supplier out there that may be willing to donate a used one taken in on trade. I will ask around and keep an eye out for one for you.
If there anyone else out there that may read this, lets see if we can help them out.

morningstarfarm
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
There are several considerations to look at here...
How long is your maple portion of the cirriculum?
How many taps?
How often do you plan to boil?
Do you have a covered boiling area?
this is just a sampling of concerns...

Revi
10-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Talk to the Farmington CTE, or Vocational school. They make small evaporators for a very reasonable price.