PDA

View Full Version : Fair Question

SeanD
09-21-2013, 07:55 AM
I've been invited to participate in a Christmas fair in December. I've never paid for a table before. I've just sold by word of mouth and the stand we set up on the side of our road, so I'm interested in any and all input or advice.

The first day is 8-3 and it's $75 per table and the second day is 8-1:30 and is $50 per table. The Sunday will probably work better for my schedule and there is a church next door that will likely funnel a lot of customers in.

I have two main questions.

Is it worth while paying for a spot when farmer's markets are free? I'd break even after about a gallon or so at this fair.

How much should I plan to have on hand? I only have about 10-11 gallons left in bulk. I'd hate to make a commitment and then run out. I'm thinking the smaller containers are going to be preferred as people are looking for gifts.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Sean

BreezyHill
09-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Pretty cheap advertising to get your name and products out to more people. Never sell out of product! Retain on the display area your last bottles of each different container. This way you can take orders for items and be able to have them for pickup at a later date or ship them, or deliver. Plenty of business cards for those that are just browsing but like the idea of fine maple products.
Good Luck!

maple flats
09-21-2013, 09:01 AM
You certainly wouldn't pack any gallons if that is all you have. While the price sounds high for the quantity you have left, it will get your name out for future. If you are adding more taps each year and will likely have more to sell in the future you may want to do it. Are you familiar with this venue? Does it gets lots of traffic? Do you expect to have many more taps in the near future. If you plan to stay at or near the 100 taps you are at and it you only have 10-11 gal bulk left you need to decide if that will last until the 2014 season. I don't like running out, but did several seasons until I got above 600 taps. Even then, this past season I started with only 3 gal left adding all my size jugs and bottles left. I did only 1 farmers market (5 weeks only) last year and did not do maple weekend. I sold 180 gal mostly at the sugarhouse and/or shipping to mail order customers. This year I made 233 gal and did no farmers market, I have about 80 gal left and the fall/Christmas season is still coming, a good sales time.
I guess I'm saying you need to decide if you need to expand your market that much at this time. It is always fun to sell at such markets but I again don't like running out of product. I have never done a market that cost $50 or $75 for 1 day, but getting you name out there may be worth it. I'd sure want more than 10 gal if I did.
My big sales gain came free to me. I was called a few weeks before tapping and asked if a med. sized regional paper could do a piece on me, I said yes. When the time came I appeared 3 times, once in an article with several other producers, then 2 days later in a medium length article just about me and then 8 days later as the feature in the Sunday magazine section with 3 full pages of pictures and article. That year I was in Maple Weekend (2 weekends 2 days each) and had lines the entire time. My sugarhouse was filled to capacity (about 20-25 people) and I had lines of 20-40 waiting to get in. I started with full shelves which soon emptied and then we were packing to order. We also ended up taking lots of orders to be filled later in the season. I was not prepared to handle that much traffic and that year I was out of product to sell before June. That was in 2008. I still get lots of those same customers reordering every year. I ran out early in '09 and '10. My first year after that not running out was 2011, after almost doubling my taps and adding vacuum.
While expanding your market sound good, be prepared for the new traffic.

SeanD
09-21-2013, 11:33 AM
You pretty much hit everything going through my mind. The fair coordinator says they average 1500 people per day and being so close to the holiday season, I think I'd sell a lot. That's probably my biggest dilemma next to cost - getting sold out before next season and shorting my regulars. Between facebook and word of mouth, sales keep increasing - not flying-off-the-shelf type of sales, but people who are becoming regulars and choose to buy pure and local two to three times a year.

An additional plus is I think my kids would like it. They had a ball helping out at the Big E last weekend and they showed me they can handle more responsibilities. It could be a fun family thing to do.

Although there is a cost, the other thing that I like is that this is a one-time event. Although farmers' markets are free, it's the time commitment that's hard for me. If something like this goes well, I could plan ahead for it. Maybe that makes it worth the cost. Then again, it's my last ten gallons. I don't know. I'm still hemming and hawing.

Thanks for all the input. It helps.

Sean

tuckermtn
09-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I would suggest a mix of jugs quarts and smaller. Pints are my biggest seller for gifts around the holidays. If you have a press and can jug in glass, I would suggest a few more glass than plastic as it looks nicer for a gift.

I am guessing by the fact that you are being invited, there are no other syrup producers at the fair? If not, then I would think you will do a very good business.

not sure what your kids ages are, but my 14 and 12 year old girls help me sell a lot of syrup- they are a lot cuter than me.

good luck. you might want to buy some bulk to help get you through the holidays. Bascoms sells UPS-shippable 5 gal cans of syrup. or put something out on here...

red maples
09-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Yes agreed. I did my first one last year. and it was a Saturday all day event like yours. I did bring a 1/2 gallon of each grade that I had (medium, dark and B) sold them all. sold a lot of glass. some candy and LOTS of cream. and some honey as well. ended up with $750 by days end. Split my booth fee with my wife (artist) and booth fee was $90 for 10 x 10 section. so it only cost me $45. If nothing else I got a lot more customers who didn't know there was a sugarhouse so close.

Anyhow like other said I would do smaller containers from quarts on down more of the pint and 1/2 pints. and glass. maybe do 1-3 gift baskets of maple products. if you do other stuff too. What ever grade you have most of bring that for the samples. People more often than not will buy the sample grade they tasted and what ever it is that's the one you prefer!!! even if you have a lot of say medium but like Grade B. You can lure people in with samples!!! Don't bring a chair unless you really need one. Work the crowd!!!

Also like Tuckermn said you can get Bascoms to ship 5 gallon cans of syrup if you really need some in a pinch!!! my sales always start to pick up right about now through the Christmas rush!!! then slow up again through Jan, and Feb. until maple season then it starts all over again!!!

lpakiz
09-21-2013, 08:36 PM
I agree, don't just sit and wait for a customer. You must go out and engage them. Also, samples are a MUST. A small squeeze bottle and a box of Wal-mart spoons. If anyone passing by looks interested, ask them if they would like a taste of REAL MAPLE SYRUP!!
The key to our recent success was a sign advertising "Maple cream-sold here". You could see the folks read it and note their expression. When they got nearer, I would say "Are you wondering what maple cream is? (Or, have you ever tasted Maple Cream.) If the answer was yes, I would say"Would you like a taste?". Bet we sold over 50% of the tasters. We also suggested a sample of candy or syrup. But you must first engage the prospective customer, don't just let anyone with slight interest to walk on by. Stand (or stool, no chair, too low) by the front of your display. But we tried not to be too pushy, either.

BreezyHill
09-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I've been doing sales for my business since '84 at county fairs. Engaging the customer is very important. It is the deference between a sale and a smile. Your sales event of 1500 people you will want b cards and order forms on a clip board with several good pens on a chain. I have gone thru a box of 50 pens in a week at our fair. Get emails. Get a sing made up with your business name and a tag line. Ours is: " Our prices are reasonable -Our Quality is Priceless!" The great thing about "Taking orders for Holiday present" on a sign is it will get people thinking of what they may not be thinking of. Glass is a wonderful gift item...it is recyclable too. You can go to a dollar store and buy colored sand and refill the bottles and have them for decorations. My future daughter in law and I are working on a large winter collection. Customers will be able to see a few new bottles for every year and the bottles of years past. This way you are always giving the customer something new to enjoy and build a collection of decorations. Great thing of having an artist in the family. The plan is to add at least 2 new scenes to the line each year. Depends on how creative she is that year. Next year I am looking for at least 5. I already have about 20 in the tank but some are for very specific customers of our feed mill.
Spot on on the comment about standing, but the key is to have a chair available...rest when you get a chance; but jumped to your feet to engage a person that is just looking. That really grabs their attention. Standing behind a table is a classic sales stopper! Make a U out of tables. Get them to come into your space. If they don't entire your space they are just passing by; while one toe in the U and they are wanting you to sell them something.
Sales is an art. You must practice your art to be really good. Know your product inside and out. And be ready for that all to common question. "Is it organic" No mam we just put the chemistry set away from making todays syrup". Is not a good answer...but it sure does get the husbands to smile, shake your hand and grab a bottle for themselves. Possible the best all time question was:" how many animals died to make that bottle of syrup?" That did take me a moment...I put my hand to my chin and thought for a moment and said." well there was that mosquito that I swatted when I was checking the lines on warm afternoon." I then said:" You do realize that this is from Maple trees that are living...and we need them to be health to produce our next years crop." She replied" Well ya...I'm not stupid." I said "Oh my mistake...SORRY". That made a sale on nearly everyone that was standing there that was just looking.

You will come away with a few great memories...just remember the ones that are the funniest later will be the ones that are the most ridiculous when it happens.

Best of Luck and Listen to Bill Engvil before you go...the section about going to the county fair. "Here's your sign". It will get you the most prepared for what you are about to see

lpakiz
09-22-2013, 02:52 PM
That's why I recommend a stool(s), placed near the front corner of your display.
And I also forgot to mention the VERY MOST IMPORTANT point. SMILE, SMILE, SMILE. Greet every person that looks like they might be even remotely interested. Saturday, after 7 hours, my wife said, " My face hurts from smiling so much." I said, "Mine, too"
Also, every person that stops to look, sample or buy gets a "Thanks for stopping" or "Happy Shopping" farewell.

BreezyHill
09-22-2013, 04:00 PM
The stool in front, for me, is very detracting. You are blocking the view of the products while sitting or just having a stool in front is something people have to walk around. The U shape gives a warm feeling. You could just use a V and have the stool at the point so as to not block the view. Once you get doing this things you will invest in a telescope chair. These are the only chair for fairs. These chairs have made sales for me. You get an older couple to set down for a moment and reset and they are yours. The back can me embroidered with your business name and a maple leaf; so while you are standing they are working for you too. I have a bench we took to the fair that my dad made that was great to...but takes up too much space.

lpakiz
09-22-2013, 04:22 PM
79927991You should not be sitting on anything if you have a prospective customer. The stool needs to be at the front corners of the booth so you can see up and down the "street" for customers while you give your feet a 15 second break. We were selling Saturday before 9AM and closed at 5 PM. No one will stand all that while and be able to smile or be pleasant with people. The stools are small and inconspicuous and did not block the view of anything. We tried a bag chair for about 15 minutes. Same problem as your bench-tookup to much valuable space.
As far as arranging in a V, the booth is 10 wide (their rule). There is no way to place tables in a U shape and have room in between for more than 2 people. We had ours in an L, with the top of the L being the open face of the booth. That left about 6 to 7 feet for people to "enter" the space, and be able to examine product or receive a sample. Even then, is crowded, but the stools were out of the way of customers. Several displayers had a double space, with a 20 foot long frontage. They did arrange their tables in a U shape and funneled customers thru. Folks went in one end of the shelter and exited the other. That would be VERY effective if the space and equipment were there.
Also, we used our2X2 front pan (cleaned and shined to the max) as a display case. We turned it on edge, so the dividers were horizontal, like a medicine cabinet with out a door. Then we placed 250ML bottles on the "shelves" and on the top, along with fall leaves and other fall decor. This added just the right amount of "bling" or "glitz" to the display, and demonstrated cleanliness and quality to customers. Very well received by folks. The correct sized water-jacket canner would also work. Although the tables were joined, one was basically fall decor and the other was Christmas themed.
Cream and candy were also included. Musta worked, we took over $1500 in over the 2 days, and it rained Sunday morning til 11 and the football game (Green Bay Packers) started at noon.
Oh, and we entered syrup and dessert in their contests. Wife Sue won 3rd for dessert and our syrup got the BLUE!!! Syrup sold well when we hung those ribbons on the canopy.....

maple flats
09-22-2013, 05:55 PM
It sounds like you did things right. Good job!

SeanD
09-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Thank you all for your input. I've decided I'm going to go for it. At the very least I'm going to learn a lot and my family will have a lot of fun. Syrup always sells better when they are behind the table anyway.

In the past, I've made gift baskets for friends. I'll put syrup, waffle mix, and coffee together or something along those lines. The syrup's mine, but not the waffle mix nor coffee. Am I allowed to sell a product in my gift basket that is not mine? Obviously, concession stands sell stuff that was bought retail originally. Is this like that?

Sean

red maples
09-28-2013, 06:06 AM
you can sell what ever you want. I sell Pancake mix from a local Gristmill. In my gift basket I do, Pancake mix, Maple tea (I get it from Bascom's) my: honey, syrup, cream, and candy.

BreezyHill
09-28-2013, 08:58 AM
In NY it would be considered a value added product. You have purchased products and increase their value by making them part of your finished product; so it is no problem at all. Some consider it a complementary product, which is also a plus and is fine.
In our area we see a lot of places that go to the city and the huge commercial market and buy produce and flowers and resell them. That is permitted in many places but some vendors frown on it. But if it helps draw people to your products and booth to see all your items??? I understand that it pulls from those that raise the same locally but if it is out of season or supplies are low???

maple flats
09-28-2013, 05:38 PM
You can even try going to "New Hope Mills". They will private label all sorts of pancake flour and such. I don't know what a minimum order is. Check them out on the web. Even if you don't get private label, I often think novelty name mixes sell better, such as New Hope or other smaller names. Doing such you might carve out a neat little niche. Check to see if a small little mill exists near you.

GeneralStark
09-28-2013, 08:18 PM
I have never made enough syrup to meet the demand of my customers and this year will be no exception. I have sold all the retail syrup I made this last season and am now trading all my C to keep up with sales. Soon I will be buying syrup. I hope that within 2-3 years I will be able to make enough to meet the demand, but that may never happen. Don't be afraid to buy bulk syrup to keep your customers coming back. Pack it in small containers as they are ideal for gifts. I sell most of my syrup in pints and half pints, and sell few half gallons and gallons.

I would also suggest learning how to make cream, candy and sugar and perhaps maple nuts, and other value added products before the holiday market. The Cornell extension is an excellent resource and you can download Steve Childs' confection book for free. At the farmer's market I sell at there are typically 3-5 other vendors selling syrup, but no one else selling maple products. It sets me apart as a true maple producer, not just a dabbler in maple syrup. If you can tell your customers that you taps the trees, make the syrup and then make all the other products, they will buy from you.

SeanD
09-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely getting a candy machine, but I think it is going to have to wait until next year. The nuts are a really good idea. For the baskets, I'd like to use local products or my own when possible. There's a local coffee company I will check out. I also want to keep the cost down so the price doesn't have to be too high just to break even.

Our state gives syrup and honey producers a pass when it comes to needing a food handlers permit. If I try to sell the jam we make, then everything changes and we need to meet all the requirements of the kitchen, inspections, etc. Will that be the case for making nuts or candy?

GeneralStark
09-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely getting a candy machine, but I think it is going to have to wait until next year. The nuts are a really good idea. For the baskets, I'd like to use local products or my own when possible. There's a local coffee company I will check out. I also want to keep the cost down so the price doesn't have to be too high just to break even.

Our state gives syrup and honey producers a pass when it comes to needing a food handlers permit. If I try to sell the jam we make, then everything changes and we need to meet all the requirements of the kitchen, inspections, etc. Will that be the case for making nuts or candy?

You can make candy pretty easily without a machine. Get some molds and give it a try. Read this whole thread: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?17674-Maple-Candy-Still-struggling-to-get-it-right/page3

I doubt there is any "permit" issue with maple products, but you are in Mass.:o

BreezyHill
09-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Some states do require that of james and jellies. I was told NY does also but have not heard of any one having an issue as of yet...but NY Ag & Markets is way under staffed right now. Most of the inspectors lost their official cars and are running around in their personally vehicles...this was not allowed just a few years ago as they were concerned about terrorists getting into mills with fake ID badges but didn't think they could fake the NYS cars and license plates. This was the first year the inspector had a private car and she could only come as she inspected us last year and we knew her.
What a messed up world we are in now!