PDA

View Full Version : Heavy fall pruning

Super Sapper
09-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Does heavy fall prunig affect sap flow in spring? I have 9 very large silvers that I put on tubing on the mother-inlaw's yard that were pruned last fall. They did not produce very much sap for their size. I do not have any other years to compare (except 2012) to and was wondering if the pruning could have decreased the sap volume.

madmapler
09-20-2013, 06:47 AM
This question could probably be best answered by Dr. Perkins but I can tell you that a huge tree does'nt always produce a lot of sap. Are the trees growing vigorously? Did you prune them because of too much foliage or to get rid of dying or dead wood? Was there sap oozing out of the exposed branches? A little more info would be helpful.

lpakiz
09-20-2013, 09:26 AM
My experience with any "soft" maple is this. Some are early runners, some are late, some run all season and some don't run much at all. The next season, all these characteristics may interchange to other trees. Try them for several years before you give up on them. BTW, soft maples will make just as good syrup as hard maples.

Super Sapper
09-21-2013, 05:13 AM
They are healthy trees around 3 to 4 foot in diameter. She had them trimmed up because they were growing too close to the roof of the house and garage. This was done in the early fall of last year. I am just wondering if this could have influenced the amount of sap from this last spring. I had them on tubing but will go with 5 gallon containers this spring as I had to walk back to the trees and pail it into containers to carry back to the car anyways, so the containers will probably be easier.