PDA

View Full Version : Building Our Sap Tank

OneLegJohn
09-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Ok, with lead times on sap tanks at least 8-12 months....tack on the cost of shipping.....this was bound to happen. A 2000 Gallon sap tank made right here, in Ohio. We are building a couple 2000 gallon tanks to be able to keep up with the additional sap volume.

spud
09-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Very impressive to see your framing. I wish I had the talent to make tanks for myself and others. How much will you have into each 2000 gallon tank?

Spud

BreezyHill
09-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Looks great! So why did opt away from a round bottom rail for the c channel? There looks to be a location for debris to collect and rust the rail.

Great job with the plasma cutter on the leafs...very classy!!!

Where there is a will...there is a way!

OneLegJohn
09-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Cost is a secret. Not sure what you mean about the C channel and round bottom rail? We have another tank like this and the only regret is not using a better primer and paint so it won't fade in the sun. We are fixing that issue.

BreezyHill
09-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Agreed on cost...how is it the price of scrap is down and steel is still rather pricey?

What I was asking is the part that rests on the ground. If it where round vs the c channel that you used would it not be less likely to rust. I have had to move several of these units into trucks and out and they don't slide for nothing, with the flat edge and the paint does get scratched well on the bottom of the rail.

Don't get me wrong, I am hoping the lower scrape price will eliminate having to lock up everything that is metal. And don't get me started on the 3-4 guys rolling in the yard looking to clean up that grain elevator or metal silos. Dude they are full and we use them every day! They stool the neighbor's aluminum satellite dish in the middle of the night! Cut the steel pole and wires and left.

I hope you have found a little sideline job!

Looks great!

Jeff E
09-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Do you build in a slight slope in your framing so you get complete draining?

OneLegJohn
09-14-2013, 10:12 PM
No slope, these two tanks are real simple. A 2" drain, 2" overflow, shiny stainless, about 1887 gallons. Easy cleaning. They are going to be sloped on my concrete with wedges. However, we are looking to put a slope in future tanks. This was a first go around. We have a request for a mechanical "tipper" on the next set. Now that we have jigs, we can work improve on the design. I expect to have a 1" taper. We already have a few good ideas to improve. However, it is a simple sap tank, no need to get too fancy, right? ;)

OneLegJohn
09-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Agreed on cost...how is it the price of scrap is down and steel is still rather pricey?

What I was asking is the part that rests on the ground. If it where round vs the c channel that you used would it not be less likely to rust. I have had to move several of these units into trucks and out and they don't slide for nothing, with the flat edge and the paint does get scratched well on the bottom of the rail.

Don't get me wrong, I am hoping the lower scrape price will eliminate having to lock up everything that is metal. And don't get me started on the 3-4 guys rolling in the yard looking to clean up that grain elevator or metal silos. Dude they are full and we use them every day! They stool the neighbor's aluminum satellite dish in the middle of the night! Cut the steel pole and wires and left.

I hope you have found a little sideline job!

Looks great!

Good point on the thieving. I'm a big fan of hidden game cameras in duplicate for security. And a sign that says "smile you're on camera". At least warns them so we don't waste each other's time. I like the flat c-channel for pulling through the woods. These are heavy duty, not like a CDL tank or a thin gauge cheap tank. Tough for a guy to move a 20' tank like this in a pickup truck. I suppose we could make them in smaller sizes for such a task. Each section holds 377 gallons. So they would be 755 gal at 8', 1132 gal at 12', and 1509 gal at 16'.

Sap is worth $1 a gallon. Every time this tank fills up, it almost pays for itself. Maybe this could turn into a nice venture.

Limitpusher
09-15-2013, 03:03 PM
If you don't mind, What gauge of stainless will you be using and how are you rolling it? This looks like a solution to my problem here Michigan!

Mark
09-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Thin stainless does not need to be rolled. I also built my own 6000 gallon tank. I did not weld the end cross members on the frame until the stainless ends were welded on.

OneLegJohn
09-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Sap tank has been painted. Going with a hunter green from Sherwin Williams.

regor0
05-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Thin stainless does not need to be rolled. I also built my own 6000 gallon tank. I did not weld the end cross members on the frame until the stainless ends were welded on. Mark, where did you get sheets of stainless up here? Did you ever get your property zoned AG?

Mark
05-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Local welding shop, but now after the owner passed away they are much less willing to order metal for you. I now get my metal from Ashland Wisconsin. Yes we are now taxed as ag.

Where are you located?

regor0
05-23-2014, 08:18 AM
That's good news. I'm in negaunee. Do they have it in stock or Order it? I've ordered from stainless supply.com a couple times but unless you order 3 sheets the shipping kills the price. I got a price from surplus steel in Gladstone, they were reasonable.