PDA

View Full Version : Prefilters

lyford
09-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Last year, my first year, I filtered using a synthetic cone and no prefilters. This process was painfully slow. I'm hoping to speed up the process using prefilters. My question is on the correct use of these. Do I line the filter withe prefilters and then when syrup flow begins to slow take out the first prefilter and gently pour the syrup back into the cone, repeating this process until the syrup is all filtered or i'm out of prefilters? Also do most of you use paper prefilters, are there any other kinds? Are the paper prefilters reuseable? I know its alot of questions, thank you for your time.

unc23win
09-11-2013, 11:00 AM
It will be slower using per filters. I used both in the past. I am guessing washing prefilters is not recommended but I am sure it is done. Having enough cones that you can wash them seems like a better option depending on your water source. We washed ours in a bowl of water on a propane burner. I am sure some wait for a larger volume of syrup then reheat it to filter it. It is Definitely harder for the smaller producer without a press.

StayinLowTech
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I use paper prefilters and yes it is a little slow but to speed things up there are a few tricks. Protect your filter from the surrounding cold air by building a box around it - the warmer the syrup and filters, the faster it goes through. I use 2 prefilters in the cone filter and when the one closest to the evaporator gets clogged, take it out and pour the syrup into the bottom prefilter and put a new one below that so the top filter is the dirtiest and the bottom one is the newest, thus keeping your cone filter cleaner for longer. Some people dip the cone and prefilters in hot sap or hang over the steam to get them hot and wet which increases drainage but it does change the density of your syrup so you then should recheck and adjust density. I have reused my filters and paper prefilters for quite a bit. At the end of the night I blast hot water back through them in the opposite direction the syrup went (use no cleaners) and hang them up to dry. The paper prefilters are done when they get wrinkled and soft.

Big_Eddy
09-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I use a cone filter with prefilters in an enclosed canner. http://atkinsonmaple.com/images/MINFIL.jpg

I place 5-6 pre-filters in the single orlon filter. I preheat my filters just prior to pouring in the syrup by inverting over a steaming kettle for a few minutes. Hot and steamy but not wet.
I pour in 10-15 liters of syrup at once and put the lid on. Syrup is boiling up until the point I pour it into the filter.

I fill bottles until the flow slows down, then lift the lid and using a silicone oven mitt either remove the first prefilter, or collapse it so the syrup flows into the second one. Usually repeat once more for the batch, then pour in another 10-15 liters of syrup. Between batches, I remove the collapsed pre-filters and rinse them out, leaving the remaining ones for the next batch.

I can usually bottle 30 -45 litres is a session using the same orlon filter.

The secret in my mind is keeping the syrup hot and keeping all cold drafts away from the outside of the filter. The enclosed canner does a great job of keeping the heat in and other than the last liter or so, my syrup stays above 185 throughout the process and it flows through as fast as I can fill bottles using the spout.

I reuse the pre-filters throughout the season, rinsing them out in hot water between boils, and discarding them when they get too bad. By having multiple layers, I'm not too concerned if they aren't perfect. The pre-filters take out the soot / ash/ bark /bugs and most of the nitre, the orlon polishes the syrup.

Wash everything in the washing machine at the end of the year, no soap, no fabric softener, no bleach, after running a tub clean cycle.

Maple Ridge
09-11-2013, 02:39 PM
It is important not to twist the orlon filter to get the water out. You will tear the fibers and cause the filter not to drain properly. I just squeeze the filter and let it dry. I put them in boiling water prior to using them again. They need to be hot like everyone says. Same with prefilters hot and moist.