PDA

View Full Version : "Oh my word!!" Death tap for sure!

madmapler
09-10-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm running mains in a new woods and I came across some of these on the ground from a guy that tapped there years ago. It measures 7/16 at the very tip and tapers up to 9/16. I found a few still in the trees as well. I just can't imagine drilling the 1/2" hole(I'm assuming) it would take to secure this thing. Was this normal back then?7961

unc23win
09-10-2013, 09:19 AM
That is a 7/16" Lamb spile and they were IT for a long time. You drilled a 7/16" hole and tapped them in until you heard thud sound they stopped at taper. Some people still use them today they still sell them. They discontinued the double spiles which had two ports on them to connect other taps right to it. One thing is for sure with those spiles you could always make your lines TIGHT you would just pull the line to where it was tight and drill your hole then pull the line again and tap that spile in.

Super Sapper
09-10-2013, 11:41 AM
The woods across the road that I tapped had 2 trees that I found with homemade 3/8" pvc taps still in them. They left some there for the new owners to use if they wanted but I advised the new owners that the 5/16" ones were better for the tree if they tapped. They saw what I had when they looked at the property and agreed that they would be better.

ennismaple
09-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm running mains in a new woods and I came across some of these on the ground from a guy that tapped there years ago. It measures 7/16 at the very tip and tapers up to 9/16. I found a few still in the trees as well. I just can't imagine drilling the 1/2" hole(I'm assuming) it would take to secure this thing. Was this normal back then?7961
Those spouts were harder on the shoulders than the tree! We first used a left handed bit run off a chainsaw, then a Tanaka gas powered drill to tap. You had to push the 7/16" bit into the tree. By the end of 4 days tapping you couldn't lift a fork to your mouth to eat!

We used them for 25 years before switching to 5/16" spouts. The tree did take longer to heal because of the larger wound but didn't do too much damage because we're still tapping those same trees.

whalems
09-10-2013, 01:34 PM
those taps will also attach to the old cvs instead of using a stubby. then you are drilling a 5/16th hole

madmapler
09-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Its true. The trees I'm going to be tapping are in great shape. I just could'nt get over the differences from old to new. It'll be good thing to show the farmer who owns the bush.

maple2
09-10-2013, 07:27 PM
the double ported spout was also used when running a vented system pipeline was popular. along with 4ft droplines

spud
09-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Those spouts were harder on the shoulders than the tree! We first used a left handed bit run off a chainsaw, then a Tanaka gas powered drill to tap. You had to push the 7/16" bit into the tree. By the end of 4 days tapping you couldn't lift a fork to your mouth to eat!

We used them for 25 years before switching to 5/16" spouts. The tree did take longer to heal because of the larger wound but didn't do too much damage because we're still tapping those same trees.

I have several of those spouts on the ground in my sugar woods. I used those spouts 30 years ago. I also own a tapper that attached to my chainsaw back then (junk) I then went to a Tanaka tapper and it was always good for the first couple of tanks of gas and then it was hard starting. Sugaring sure has come a long way's.

Spud

unc23win
09-11-2013, 07:20 AM
I have several of those spouts on the ground in my sugar woods. I used those spouts 30 years ago. I also own a tapper that attached to my chainsaw back then (junk) I then went to a Tanaka tapper and it was always good for the first couple of tanks of gas and then it was hard starting. Sugaring sure has come a long way's.

Spud

I don't miss the Tanaka tappers at all we had the same problems you would get going good then it would quit and you couldn't get it started again. Now I just carry a couple batteries.

BreezyHill
09-11-2013, 09:01 AM
When my dad started in 1971 he used a bit brace on every tap for a few years. When we grew to over 1000 he bought the Sthil tapping devil. When I was in 5th & 6th grade I had the biggest arms of anybody in my class. Those taps where about the same size as the galvanized for the buckets and was the norm. Our trees are much better off now with the 5/16 most if not all holes are sealed over last month.
I don't recall witch was worse...having to wear snow shoes to get thru the woods or carrying that blasted saw to the next tree.

The bit brace bits had a screw end so it helped pull the bit into the wood as you bored the hole.

DeWalt 18v is the way to go. Make yourself a leather holster/ with a bit cover for when you bend down to pick up items dropped; or you will get the point.
Wait til you find some of the really old tubing, if was as hard then as it is when you find it today.

We sure have come along way in 40 years.

Thanks for the blast to the past!

Ben