PDA

View Full Version : Arch build

Kacey small scale maple
09-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Here are some pictures of my arch I am building. More info to follow:rolleyes:

Kacey small scale maple
09-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Too many uploaded sorry for that guess that's what you. Get with a guy who likes evaporators better than computers😉

Kacey small scale maple
09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I am planning on having the stack come out the top in the back. And putting a barrel door kit on the front with some contraption for draft control. I'm lining with fire brick an putting in an arch of sand or something in the back and was going to screw angle iron around the pans on the very edge of it with insulation. Any info would be great. Or suggestions. Thanks kacey

Super Sapper
09-10-2013, 04:29 AM
You will need to raise your grate off the bottom to allow air to flow under it into the fire. The rest loods good, have fun with it.

tcross
09-10-2013, 06:17 AM
i agree... I built one like this last year, but I didn't mortar anything together... threw insulation in between the rows... i'd get the grate off the ground 8" or so and put a smallish pipe under it with holes drilled in it! then you can add fan to blow in there and increase your boiling rate in good shape! I filled the blocks with sand for insulation value and my blocks got warm, but never hot to the touch! and none of them split! I also turned the two blocks on each side of the arch in the middle, on the bottom sideways and used them as a damper by covering up the holes with plate steel! I was able to control the draft a little better doing that! just a few ideas that worked well for me... and i'll be doing it again!

Kacey small scale maple
09-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Yes, I just had the grate laying there. That's a good idea about the fan!

MapleLady
09-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Your arch is looking good. I have been boiling on an arch similar to this for the last couple of years and it has worked very well for me. My blocks are dry stacked, but I plan to mortar it together in the next couple of weeks, before the weather gets too cold. The ramp in my arch is made of block and brick in a step fashion. You indicated that you were going to lift the grate off of the ground - important. How are you going to ramp up the back?

Kacey small scale maple
09-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Will post current pics of ramp and lifted grate tomarrow. It's to dark to take pics tonight:lol:

Kacey small scale maple
09-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Here are pics of ramp.79817982

MapleLady
09-22-2013, 07:04 AM
That ramp looks good. Are you planning to put firebrick on top of the sand? I would want to keep that sand dry so it won't collect water/ freeze etc. Also, how are you planning to connect your smokestack?

Kacey small scale maple
09-25-2013, 07:35 PM
I just put firebrick on my ramp and filled my blocks with sand and capped them off with mortar. I have not bricked the rest of the firebox yet. And am going to get a door barrel kit for the front. Just got my coupon in the mail for tractor supply:lol: as for the stack, I am going to lay a piece of plate steel with a welded ring onto the plate, with the plate sealed and screwed to the block with cement screws.