PDA

View Full Version : Barbed Ball Valves

corrowbasin
09-09-2013, 09:54 AM
I've been installing some new mainlines to my wet/dry, and have been wondering why no one has come up with a barbed 3/4" or 1" ball valve. I've seen many bushes using all stainless Y's and Tee's fitting, and then using a plastic 3/4" ball valve with plastic NPT to 3/4" adapter. What's the point of spending all that money to prevent restriction, and then installing a isolation ball valve that restricts the CFM flow? A barbed ball valve would reduce the number fittings and leaks on many manifolds.

GeneralStark
09-09-2013, 10:10 AM
You can get stainless thread barb adapters as well. I use them with plastic or stainless ball valves. Also, LaPierre does make a stainless T with NPT threads on one side of the T to accept a ball valve but I haven't been able to find them in 3/4". These work well in a whip type application. The plastic valves have a smaller ID than the stainless ball valves. Are you wondering why someone does not make a ball valve with a larger id or are you wondering why someone does not make a ballvalve with barbs attached? Is it the adapter id you are concerned about? If so, just use stainless adapters.

BreezyHill
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I think the reason for no barbed valve is cost. To make a mold for such a small industry would increase the cost of the valve a bunch.
You are right on the limiting factor. CDL has some new black plastic fittings that are slightly smaller diameter ID than SS but larger than the old gray fittings.
As for the 3/4" ball valve use a 1" with a 3/4" barbed x 1" MPT fitting. I use these on water lines for watering cows, from spring boxes. Most hardware stores have them. No flow restriction and they are for potable water so they are safe. Pipe dope the threads makes for no leak and easy removal when the ball valve STB.

Great Question!!!

maple flats
09-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I've used barbed ball valves for 25 yrs. They are by Legend, but are in brass only as far as I know. I buy mine at Seneca Plumbing and Heating, Vernon, NY. Their phone # is 315-829-3935. They are open 8-5 M-F and 8-noon Sat. I've only used them in 3x4" and 1" for maple. When I was selling and installing Outdoor Wood Boilers I also used some 1/2".

OldManMaple
09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Goodrich's in Cabot stock them in brass, They may have them in SS. Give them a call (800) 639-1854

sapman
09-09-2013, 09:24 PM
We have them occasionally where I work. Have used a couple on jobs. Again, only brass from what I've seen so far. I think ours were probably Boshart, or BII, which is probably what Goodrich is selling. I'll have to look into seeing if they make stainless.

corrowbasin
09-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the contact information. I've only been able to find online the barbed ball valves for PEX tubing, which don't grip enough. I just can't justify the cost for SS adapters, with each ball valve needing two. The SS Y fittings alone are already a huge financial cost on my wet lines. And with my mainline manifolds using two ball valves (one isolation, the other for the dryline whip for cleaning) that almost $60 for just the SS adapters. I think barbed ball valves are the way to go, as long as they don't restrict flow. That would eliminate another 4 potential NPT connections that could leak on each manifold.

I've been using 1" for all my manifold connections, since the plastic 1" NPT adapter fittings are closer to 3/4". Also my 1" tee star fitting for my vacuum gauges also cause restriction, then I use a SS reducing bushing to 3/4" for my mainline. I'm just trying to reduce the # of fittings and prevent any restriction at the start of all my mainlines.

corrowbasin
10-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Update,

I was able to find the BII (Boshart) barbed ball valves but they are not lead free and do not meet the Vermont Low Lead Laws

regor0
10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
I saw some at Menard's last week. They were a build your own type deal. You could make any type connections you want, you get the valve and then they had any connections you wanted ie copper to pex or pex to black pipe. Lots of different combinations. May not be low lead though I didn't look.