PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Tap in the Bloomsburg/Berwick Area

BaileyHillBen
09-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi All, Im interested to know if there are any sugarmakers from the Bloomsburg/Berwick area, Columbia co. I didn't know if there were a substantial amount of sugar maples in that area. Was there over the weekend, and noticed alot of oaks, poplars but not an abundance of maples. Just curious. Thanks.

Maplewalnut
09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Nobody on here that I know of. Your right though, other than a periodic hedge row of maple most of the forest and wood lot growth is oak/ash. Need to go a little further north and the maple belt starts, lots of producers in Bradford/Tioga counties.

happy thoughts
09-10-2013, 06:38 AM
There was someone on here from the Millville area a few years ago as I recall. That's about 10 miles NW of Bloomsburg. I also saw a barrel evaporator in the back of a pickup in the same area at about the same time but any operations are likely to be small hobby ones I'd think. The area is not heavily forested and much of it is open valley farmland.

redneck mapler
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM
I live in northern Columbia county, near Redrock. I had 350 taps last year. There are certain areas with lots of maples and others with none. hope this helps

wade27s
01-01-2014, 10:03 PM
I live in the Benton area would like to see your operation some time, I grew up in grassmere park and started boiling when I was around 8 , been traveling around working since getting out of college and want to get back into boiling. Is your operation on tubing or buckets, im interested in tubing on vacume but don't quite know where to start. Thanks

redneck mapler
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM
I am fairly new at this. My dad did it when I was little once or twice. I got into it 3 years ago. I have most of my taps on what I call mini pipelines. have them running into barrels. I have about 100 buckets. No vac system yet. My goal is to have a fluted pan for this year. I currently have a 30" by 6ft flat pan. Need to up grade had to much sap last year to boil it all off.