PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gas Turkey Fryer ?

sr73087
09-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy this? Last year I boiled on the kitchen stovetop and found out firsthand why most people don't do that. I only had a few trees tapped but this year I plan on tapping around 20-30 trees and need a new way of boiling. I have a natural gas hookup outside for my barbecue and figured using that would probably be the cheapest and easiest way of going about this. However, all the turkey fryers I see are propane, except a few highly priced ones. I have also read that you can simply convert the propane fryer by removing the regulator and boring out the orfices, is this true and is it the most economical and time sensitive way of going about boiling for 20-30 trees ?

madmapler
09-01-2013, 06:14 PM
If you have a place where you can stack some cement blocks outdoors and build yourself a fireplace, a couple of stainless steel buffet pans or basting pans work well. I know a guy who has about that many taps and he makes 4 or 5 gallons a year that way. I believe he puts sap in the hottest pan and ladles it to another and to another that he uses for finishing it. The key is to having surface area exposed to the heat. I think a turkey frier is'nt going to be that much more effective than boiling in a pot. 20 or 30 trees is going to take you a lot of boiling hrs that way. You will probably have days with 30 or so gallons of sap to boil. Maybe a kitchen type RO will help. This guy I know uses one.

sr73087
09-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Does he use regular cinder blocks or is it something that can withstand heat?

madmapler
09-01-2013, 06:37 PM
His is made of brick. I think its his regular outdoor fireplace that he's modified a little. He does'nt close it up tight so it does'nt get overheated. Stacked solid blocks will last you a few years. I'm pretty sure he puts a piece of metal across the front to keep some of the heat from escaping. Designing your own is half the fun.:)