PDA

View Full Version : Registering as a "Farm" in Vermont?

syrup2nv
08-31-2013, 09:59 AM
I am wondering what the requirements are to register as a Farm in Vermont? I'm strictly in Maple Production, no live stock.

wiam
08-31-2013, 02:41 PM
I have never heard of registering a farm. Why do you want to?

syrup2nv
08-31-2013, 02:58 PM
Sorry, let me clarify.

What is needed to register a business as a Farm in the state of VT? Opposed to a LLC or Inc., ect.

sjdoyon
08-31-2013, 04:08 PM
I registered my business with the State of Vermont. Go to the state govt homepage and follow links on setting up a business. If you are looking for tax breaks or other advantages for being a farm, different resources.

PerryFamily
08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
I separated my maple business from my other business this year. I left it up to my accountant. She told me since I own both they will help offset each other as far as profit and loss. Plus I can now depreciate all my equipment. You can also take a portion of household expenses for an office as well as mileage, repairs and fuel if your vehicle is used for maple. There are lots of advantages, I dont know them all. I would ask your accountant.

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Look into a LLC, or SCorp. I first started out as a Sole propriator (spelling) and paid a lot of taxes. Once I went to a SCorp I noticd a huge difference in taxes. Instead of paying in I got money back every year. If I remeber correctly your allowed up to 5 DBA's under one SCorp. You rent property from one to another, leases and things.
Ask your Actt. they will point you in the right direction