PDA

View Full Version : out of ports on releaser

Maplewalnut
08-20-2013, 07:10 AM
So my mechanical releaser only has four threaded ports coming into top chamber. I am currently puting in a wet/dry system on three mainlines coming off releaser. One going straight up the middle of property, one going east and one going west. All have trunk lines coming off of them. So if I put a wet/dry set up to each I need (6) ports. Right?
Thoughts?

Thompson's Tree Farm
08-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Drill and tap for the additional connections to the manifold. You can put the entrances for the dry lines into the top of the manifold if you need to.

BreezyHill
08-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Be sure to use the correct size bit when drilling to tap...plastic doesn't have the hold power of steel and undersizing creates to much meat when threading and weakens plastic. Check ebay for taps...I got a 3/4-1.5" kit for $25.

Thad Blaisdell
08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
What size ports are available now? and what size lines to come in? You may be able to use larger pipe and split it off for two sets. Much easier than drilling.

Maplewalnut
08-20-2013, 11:24 AM
What size ports are available now? and what size lines to come in? You may be able to use larger pipe and split it off for two sets. Much easier than drilling.

1 inch ports now....with 1 inch wet line coming in. The 1 inch is over sized for the wet line on the two side mains since they only have about 250 taps on each but thats what it is. I am running 1inch dry line over all three wet lines because thats what I have a huge spool of. Not text book I know but with the little slope I currently have I figured it is better than the existing set up.

maple flats
08-20-2013, 06:39 PM
I now use nothing smaller than 1". I still have a few 3/4" but am adding no new that small. The 1" has a huge advantage over 3/4" for vacuum transfer. My wet/dry are both 1" in one woods and are 1.5 over 1.25 in the other.

BreezyHill
08-20-2013, 07:46 PM
I would strongly suggest not teeing off of your lines near the releaser. The competition and disruption of sap flow into the releaser will devastate your vacuum transfer where the intersection is and beyond. The result of the changing of direction of the sap flow. A y would be better but it will be best to drill and tap.

With limited slope..2% and less, over sizing is needed to accommodate the slow flow of sap to reduce surges. The change from 2% to 6% slope increase a 1" mains capacity by 20%.

Splitting off the line will reduce the vacuum 50%. If this is done after 3 feet or more from the releaser a huge amount of vacuum transfer is lost to friction. All the reductions added together will have a big negative impact on vac transfer.

Drill and tap it really is not that bad.

Ben

lpakiz
08-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Might I suggest that you use a hole saw rather than a drill? The drill will make a rough hole at best. If you are going 1 inch, I could check which size hole saw I used. It took several trials before I got the right combination. Or at least do a practice run on a piece of non-critical material.

lew
08-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Like lpakiz said, drill and tap it using a hole saw. Also, if you want to increase the size of an existing hole, insert a plug in the hole and redrill to the larger size.

TheMapleMoose
08-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I think once you get to a certain size they don't tap the releaser wall. I think they drill a hole to accommodate a sch 40 PVC female adapter and glue it into the releaser.

Maple Hill
08-23-2013, 06:36 AM
When I put in a 1 1/2 wet dry system my releaser had 6 1in holes I removed all fittings,took a 1x6 in board,drilled a pilot hole with a hole saw for a 2in female pvc fitting,set the board so the hole lined up over a 1in hole,next I drilled 2 more holes in the board on each end also over a 1in hole,bolted the board using large flat washers to the releaser then drilled the larger hole ,moved the board over and drilled other 2in hole,remove the board and glued in the fittings.

unc23win
02-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Hi guys what size hole saw for 1" threads in a booster? 7/8"?

BreezyHill
02-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Hi guys what size hole saw for 1" threads in a booster? 7/8"?

The tap should have the recommend drill size on it. I have three 1" and they all different. There is a great size chart that was on line that listed sizes for plastic and for metal. Seems that plastic was 1/32 smaller drill than metal.

If the wall is very think it is best to test the hole before threading to deep to get a good fit.

Ben

wiam
02-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Uniseals are awesome.