PDA

View Full Version : Started flagging trees today

Rinkus
08-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Howdy folks, I spent a few hours on this beautiful Maine day behind my house with my oldest son flagging trees to tap and start planning my lines. I set out to flag about 50 trees, but after two roles I ran out of flagging tape. I live on a pretty steep hill and with the exception of a few rolling abnormalities in the incline I think my sap lines should be pretty straight forward. After last years experimentation I am excited about the upcoming season.

western mainer
08-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes it does take a lot of flagging, What part of Maine are you located ?
Brian

Rinkus
08-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I am about 30 minutes south of Bangor, off the beaten path. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but looking forward to the finished product. I may consider increasing my tree count to 75 if things go smoothly and time permits.

unc23win
08-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Well that's awesome you are out flagging. Everytime I go in the woods I see a few more trees I would like to tap next year. No time for flagging now though.

Chicopee Sap Shack
08-18-2013, 04:30 PM
I was out flagging today behind the house and found a few more than I was thinking. Only thing is its kinda wet back there not sure how that will effect how much the trees put out where I'm only using buckets and gravity lines. Any thoughts in the wet ground?

red maples
08-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Well remember early in the season the ground will be frozen late in the season will be an issue. the wet areas can get deep in the spring especially with a lot of rain and melting snow which can and does happen during sugaring season!!! I would run a little tubing through the wet areas and collect in a dry spot if you can.

I need to get into the woods to flag but its been too darn buggy with this little warm weather hopefully next week will be better!!!

Mike's Sugar Shack
09-03-2013, 06:48 PM
I was out flagging trees today to.I got at least 230 taps flagged so far and i am only on one corner of the property.