PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn and cotton candy

Tweegs
08-07-2013, 09:28 AM
We bought a cotton candy machine, sales are good and profit margin is outstanding.

Having some trouble with the maple sugar for the cotton candy, too much fines, invert sugar level probably too high. Since we buy the sugar, we take what we can get.

A half ounce sugar/maple sugar mix yields about ¼ ounce of cotton candy. The rest ends up against the wall of the machine. I expect that the yield will improve with a better grade of sugar. My wife, ever the resourceful type, is looking for a way to utilize and market this byproduct. Maple peanut brittle, trail mix and crunchy ice cream toppings are a few of the up coming experiments. I’d be interested to know if anyone else who makes cotton candy puts the remnants to use, and how. Too much of it there to just toss in the trash.

We are also giving thought to offering maple coated popcorn or kettle corn.

For those that have done this:
How are sales as compared to other confections or goodies?
Once bagged, how long will it keep?

I assume that direct sunlight will make a bag of popcorn a sticky, gooey clump of an unsightly mess. Is there anything else I should be aware of in a farmer’s market type environment?

Father & Son
08-07-2013, 02:40 PM
The mix that is in the bottom of the cotton candy machine or stuck to the wall, gather it up and put it right back into the machine. It will work just like your mix. No byproduct nothing wasted.

maple2
08-07-2013, 06:31 PM
do you mix white sugar with the maple sugar? we have a hard time making cotton candy in humid weather. a heat lamp overhead helps