PDA

View Full Version : Washing Barrels

PerryFamily
08-04-2013, 08:14 AM
How does everyone wash their bulk barrels and 5 gallon containers?
Does anyone was them , or look into them when they come back from packers?

I happened to look into my blue 5 gallon containers, which were cleaned at Bascoms, and there was some junk or film, on the little bit of water left in them. I know they cant get all the water out and dry given the sheer size of the operation, maybe I should have opened them immediately to let them dry? Dunno curious what others do.

whalems
08-04-2013, 08:25 AM
On my 5 Gallon jugs I rinse out with very hot water, Lots of hot water then turn upside down and let set for several days until completely dry then put cap on loosely and store.

maple flats
08-04-2013, 09:11 AM
wash them out. 5 gal can be done by adding some very hot water and a little Clorox shake well with cap on, turn on all sides. Let set 20 minutes. Then drain, rinse 3x and drain completely, lt dry with cap off completely, then cap loosely. I use a pressure washer into a tilted, upside down bbl for larger bbls, such as my 30 and 40 gal SS bbls. I let wash for 20 minutes minimum, drain as dry as above. I use no Clorox. You can also do with just a hose and misting nozzle.

maple flats
11-08-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm looking for faster and more complete way to clean barrels as I empty them. Now I just spray the pressure washer up inside the inverted barrel as described above. Is there an easier way, holding the pressure nozzle for about 20 minutes gets old before the time is up. Any other ideas for a totally clean barrel?

TunbridgeDave
11-22-2013, 07:52 AM
I always use bleach and hot water, along with a little CIP cleaner from the barn. I let the solution sit in the jugs upside down for a period of time since the inside top is the hardest place to clean. Then I rinse well and drain using a paper towel to get the last bit of water out through the hole. Always store them dry . I don't think we should be afraid of bleach, since it evaporates easily leaving only salts that are easily rinsed away. I have plastic drums that are 20 yrs old that have been cleaned promptly after using and they have no off-odors at all.

PerryFamily
11-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Tunbridge thanks for the info!
I was thinking about a "nozzle" on the steam cleaner. Like 1/2" pipe with holes drilled randomly to shower the inside?