PDA

View Full Version : I am considering tapping in ct this weekend

02-05-2004, 11:38 AM
I am considering tapping in CT this week but I am wondering if I am being overzelous due to my excitement for the season.
Does anybody know how long a taphole will remain open before starting to seal.
I can only tap on the weekends and would like to get an early start, but I dont want to be too early.

Any thoughts would be great

mapleman3
02-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm in Ma. and last year I tapped march 1st, and that was almost a week earlier than others in my area, I would think it's too early by about 3 weeks, as far as how long the holes can be open? all depends on how clean and bacteria free your spouts and the holes are, I don't know how long holes will stay "open" without sap flowing. where are you in CT? watch the long range forcast on weatherchannel.com.
a few spotter buckets never hurts though

ebourassa
02-05-2004, 01:46 PM
I live in CT and I have been talking to other maple producers here and they all said it not quite time yet, general rule of thumb for Ct is around the 15th of this month, but we seem to get better runs in March, But I noticed the other day that a small producer already tapped his trees. It a tough call but the weather is good now but for how long? Hope this helps.

Brian
02-05-2004, 05:56 PM
I live in central vt and in 2002 I was boiling and making fancy syrup the last week and a half of feb on a flat pan. I made 11 gallons of fancy out of 17 gallons total. :) Last year I didn't make any fancy syrup, and I had a real evaporator! :cry:

Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Here's my two cents worth, I live in Beckley, WV which is at least 500 miles south of any of you other than Doug and closer to 800 miles south of the most of you. I am going to tap this Sat, Feb 7th, but the forecast all the way through the 15th shows no sign of the sap running. I have been ready and I have time this weekend, so I am going to try to tap. It was 65 degrees here on Jan 3rd, and quite warm the two days before that. If I had tapped around the end of last year, I would have gotten a great run then, but since then it has been extremely cold and I would have ruined the whole season.

Don't get too over anxious, because it is just too early yet. You will know when the time is right, but it is not yet! :D :D :D I am tapping this Saturday because it is time to tap in my area. Even though the forecast does not show it, it will likely run some next week! At least I hope show! :D :D

Brian
02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
If the weather warms up enough for the sap to run say 35deg for 3days or so yes I will be drilling. Some years you get a hell of a run at the end of feb. If it comes ,I want it !! been waiting all year for it, MAPLE GOLD , OH YES IT WILL BE MINE. :D

Brian

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Ive put my 40 taps in this morning after all the Ice melted of the tree's. They are running here right now, but Very very very slow.
Hopeing for this week comeing.
My wife said they want our high's to be in the low 40's and freezeing at nite. But we will see.
The forecasters forcast the weather like I do.
Look out and see whats doing! :]

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-07-2004, 09:01 PM
At least your forecasters look out to see what it is doing. I don't think ours down here can look at anything but a green blob on a computer screen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They don't have a clue! :oops: :oops: :oops: