PDA

View Full Version : Airtech Vacuum Pumps

GeneralStark
07-29-2013, 12:09 PM
I was at the CDL Dealer in St. Albans this morning getting a quote on a bunch of equipment for a new woods and sugarhouse, and I inquired about options for a 1.5 hp Liquid Ring Pump. Long story short, CDL is shifting to selling Airtech Pumps and will no longer be carrying Busch pumps.

I am likely not going to purchase a pump from them at this point but I was quite impressed with the price and specs. for the 1.5 hp 3 phase LR pump they suggested. 15 cfm @ 26" according to the manufacturer's specs. That's pretty good for a small pump under 2,000$.

Also, Airtech has a whole line of different styles of pump including some nice little dry rotary vane pumps ideal for hobbyists, as well as claw pumps.

I am in no way affiliated with this company and am not pushing anyone to purchase these pumps, but I was indeed impressed with what they have to offer and thought others might appreciate the info. especially if you are shopping for a new vacuum pump.

http://www.airtechusa.com/

07-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Back a while I read were someone bought one new an it seized right up. The company was absolutely no help to him at all. I found a LR on eBay for 300 it is 3 hp 3 ph.

GeneralStark
07-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Just saying that they appear to offer some good pumps with good specs. And with a dealer backing their products, you probably won't be left high and dry.

If the story you reference is true that is too bad.

Certainly good deals can be found on ebay.

PerryFamily
07-29-2013, 07:42 PM
General- I saw these pumps at the open house. It was so quiet I had to touch it to know it was running. Within days CDL was calling wanting to quote me one, then a Airtech rep called making sure My questions were answered. When I called CDL the rep was great about getting back to me. I think they are really trying to push the product. There was another producer at the show that has a 3hp L-series and absolutely loved it.
Anyway, the price quoted to me was $3200 for a 1.5 hp, 110volt, 21 cfm,L-series oil lubed rotary vane for 1000 taps. I really like the pump but was hoping to spend a little less. But then again, it is new and I think a pretty nice pump. The total price was $4200 for the pump, electric releaser and moisture trap. But being new to the vacuume, maybe there are better alternatives out there?

07-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Here's the thread http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?19581-gast-vs.-airtech&highlight=AIrtech I wonder how he made out with it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-30-2013, 03:32 AM
Thad loves his, CDL bought the rights to them so if you want one you have to get it through cdl

maple2
07-30-2013, 06:59 AM
we bought a 1.5hp and a 3hp at Verona, last year, direct from airtec. we saved over $1000 each. i was leary of switching to oil cooled because they always ran so hot. these pumps would run all day and would never get hot. we will be buying another 3hp for a new bush, this year

PerryFamily
07-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I fins it hard to believe you can only buy one from CDL.
I was hoping to find one from a non maple distributor for less money.....maybe.

Any other brands similar to the airtech? compact, quiet, oil cooled rotary vane?

GeneralStark
07-30-2013, 06:17 PM
They have an office in New Jersey. Give them a call to see if there are other distributors. Tell them it is for an industrial purpose and that you are not a sugarmaker.

Busch makes similar pumps, but I don't know much about them or what they cost. CDL is dropping Busch because of poor service support.

CDL is definitely pushing them. The salesman I spoke with suggested that they hope they become the go to pump.

I have only really considered the 1.5 hp LR and at 133$/ cfm for 15 cfm @26", that seems pretty reasonable for a brand new pump with dealer support. All my woods are too small at this point, but I may need a pump that size in a couple years.

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
I fins it hard to believe you can only buy one from CDL.
I was hoping to find one from a non maple distributor for less money.....maybe.

Any other brands similar to the airtech? compact, quiet, oil cooled rotary vane?
thats how i understand it, no matter if you go direct or not all sales go through CDL.

I hope im wrong they seem to be awesome units.

PerryFamily
08-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I looked at the Kinney/Tuthill site and they sell a identical L-series pump as airtech. I have requested info and will keep you posted. I believe they are private labeled for airtech.

Bruce L
08-05-2013, 06:30 AM
What about the Indianna pumps? I have read about them here before and was considering going that route when needed

PerryFamily
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Tuthill got back to me today. Factory direct prices are slightly less than CDL. I am going to call them tomorrow.

I have seen the Indiana Vacuume setups as well. They look like a good setup but would need to be in a heated area due to the water correct?
Where can I find info on these?

Moser's Maple
08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
INDIANA VACUUM

Home Page
View Our Products Page
How is Syrup Made Page
Ideas for Maple Page

Contact Information Page

Contact Information Page

dba Harris Sugar Bush

999 E Co Rd 325 N

Greencastle, IN 46135-8025

Phone/fax: 765-653-5108

Cell number: 765-301-0389

e-mail: aharris@link2000.net

www.harrissugarbush.com

“VACUUM WATER OR OIL COOLED UNITS”

Art is an awesome guy to deal with, and his pumps are true work horses!

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Tuthill got back to me today. Factory direct prices are slightly less than CDL. I am going to call them tomorrow.

I have seen the Indiana Vacuume setups as well. They look like a good setup but would need to be in a heated area due to the water correct?
Where can I find info on these?
So tuthill and airteck are the same in one?

PerryFamily
08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks Moshers!! Look like nice units. Priced good too

Can someone clarify the water cooled. Do you need a constant supply of water or is the tank enough?
Seems as though the water would get pretty hot

PerryFamily
08-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Flats- The L-series Airtech pumps look very similar to the KVA-series Tuthill pumps. I thought exact first but not quite. Price is within a couple hundred bucks of each other.

But, after looking quickly at the Indiana Vacuum site, I am going to get in touch with the for sure. I like the gas and electric options and the high CFM at high vac.

Hopefully the funding is there to go new.

wiam
08-06-2013, 06:31 AM
You need a supply of cool water running in the tank

Walling's Maple Syrup
08-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Flats- The L-series Airtech pumps look very similar to the KVA-series Tuthill pumps. I thought exact first but not quite. Price is within a couple hundred bucks of each other.

But, after looking quickly at the Indiana Vacuum site, I am going to get in touch with the for sure. I like the gas and electric options and the high CFM at high vac.

Hopefully the funding is there to go new. You wil not be disappointed in an Indiana Vacuum. Quality and service are top-notch. We own 5 different vac. pumps(3 airablo vane pumps, an Atlantic Fluidics LR pump, and an Ind. vac.) and the Indiana Vac. is by far and away the most durable, trouble-free pump we own.

Neil

tuckermtn
08-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Mapleguys is a dealer for Airtech vacuum pumps. I was just quoted some very good pricing for the 3/4 and 1 hp oil vane pumps. If I can convince the land owner to let me plug in and run 400ft of air line, then that is the route I am going to go. The fact that both pumps are available in 115V, it makes the "let me just plug in to your outlet" conversation easier.

DrTimPerkins
08-07-2013, 07:47 AM
The fact that both pumps are available in 115V, it makes the "let me just plug in to your outlet" conversation easier.

Assuming there is sufficient capacity on that circuit, especially during motor start-up. You don't want to keep popping their circuit breaker, or drawing down the amps on the line so low that other things on the line are affected.

hillsboro
08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm quite sure that the rotary vane Airtech pumps are exact "knock-offs" of the rotary vane Busch pumps. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that the entire Airtech engineering division consists of a guy in a building in southern China with a Busch pump, a notebook, a wrench, a screwdriver, and a micrometer.

tuckermtn
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Assuming there is sufficient capacity on that circuit, especially during motor start-up. You don't want to keep popping their circuit breaker, or drawing down the amps on the line so low that other things on the line are affected.
Yes- need a 20 amp circuit minimum and a 12 gauge extension cord.

Might be temped to turn it on once at the beginning of the season and just leave it on...

PerryFamily
08-07-2013, 04:40 PM
There are a few pumps that look pretty similar.
Whats the voltage on the Indiana setups? The 110 volt is definitely a plus but I wonder about the electricity cost versus a 3ph**** with a vfd.

Tuthill told me they hardly ever sell a rotary vane pump for sap production due to them " not wanting to start when its cold"?? Trying to sell me a liquid ring.

TheMapleMoose
08-08-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure how the Indiana pumps come wired but some electric motors are able to be wired 110 or 220. We wire our saw motors and air compressors to 220 to keep the amp draw down under start up and full load. I would think at 2hp the Indiana pump would be 220 but I could be wrong.

maple flats
08-08-2013, 06:12 PM
A 2 hp motor at 120V would be very rare indeed, too much amp draw.

PerryFamily
08-08-2013, 07:22 PM
The location where the pump would be is a cabinet / woodworking shop so the 220 should be no problem.
Good thing I know an electrician!

The Indiana pumps are looking better every day. I just hate to spend good money on used and have troubles ( potentially)
The bush is 15 minute from my house so reliability is key.

Thanks for all the info and help

Moser's Maple
08-08-2013, 09:08 PM
our 20 cfm Indiana oil cooled is prewired for 220. I'll have to check hp, cant remember off had if its a 1 1/2hp or a 2 hp..... I believe it draws somewhere around 10 amps, but will recheck that for you too.

TheMapleMoose
08-09-2013, 05:54 AM
our 20 cfm Indiana oil cooled is prewired for 220. I'll have to check hp, cant remember off had if its a 1 1/2hp or a 2 hp..... I believe it draws somewhere around 10 amps, but will recheck that for you too.

Jake, how many taps do you run on that pump?

Moser's Maple
08-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Maple Moose
I have roughly 800 on the 20 cfm pump. 2 main wet/dry conductors that run directly off the pump. wet/dry A is 600 feet to a booster that branches to 2 1 inch mains that travel rough another 500 feet. Wet/dry B is 500 feet to a booster that picks up another 2 1 inch mains that travel less than 300 feet each. I do have about 7 total areas where 1inch mains will whip in also. I know the pump is over kill, but the price was right, it can over come leaks when I'm tied up doing something else, and all you have to do is make sure there's enough oil in the reservoir and the thing is bullet proof.

Moser's Maple
08-10-2013, 03:23 PM
our 20 cfm is definitely 2 hp and draws 10.2 amps on 208-230 volts.....the rpm rating is 3520.