PDA

View Full Version : Comparing 5/16 tubing

Scribner's Mountain Maple
07-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I wanted get multiple opinions on a major question for me on tubing. I want a pallet or two for 2014. I've been thinking rigid of some kind for laterals, and Lapp Clear for drops. I also used some flex pro last year and really liked it.

Where is the best bang for the buck?

What are other producers liking for 5/16 tubing, and not liking, and why?

I used some different types of tubing now. I liked them all for the most part. My woods aren't particularly sunny, so my tubing doesn't break down as fast as some producers with open woods and southern exposure.

Really if money wasn't an issue what type of tubing would you use and why?

And if money is an issue, what is the best, least expensive tubing on the market for rigid and semi rigid?

Thanks,
Ben

K.I. Joe
07-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Good questions, I am looking forward to hearing the opinions that will come forth

spencer11
07-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I use lap. Rigid for everything, if it wasent so expensive I might go back to leader 30p, but I really like lap. Rigid, spefically the green tubing

07-26-2013, 08:43 PM
I love 30 p that is all I use I used some cheap stuff and it sucked.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
07-26-2013, 09:30 PM
I use CDL semi ridged for everything. Easy to work with and stay up pretty good. I want to try some of the new CDL 90 that they say is like between ridged and semi-ridged in toughness.

sjdoyon
07-27-2013, 11:24 AM
We use Leader's 5/16" Plastic Lateral Line Tubing for all our laterals and we make our own drop lines with Leader's 5/16" Max Flow Flex. Replacing the drop lines every five years.
We use the product for two reasons, quality product and cost effective. We are not tied to one company over the other, have Leader, Lapierre, CDL and D&G products in our sugarhouse and sugarbush.

500' roll of lateral for $53. When buying 50 or 100 rolls at a pop, can be a good saving. Leader had a spring time discount this year so we paid around $48 a 500' roll.

If money wasn't an issue, we would still go with the Leader's lateral tubing but buy our drop lines pre-made.

Spencer, i priced Lapierre at nearly $72 a 500 ft roll for 15yrs and $66 for ten years. What prices are you being quoted if Lapierre is cheaper than Leader?

spencer11
07-27-2013, 12:02 PM
We use Leader's 5/16" Plastic Lateral Line Tubing for all our laterals and we make our own drop lines with Leader's 5/16" Max Flow Flex. Replacing the drop lines every five years.
We use the product for two reasons, quality product and cost effective. We are not tied to one company over the other, have Leader, Lapierre, CDL and D&G products in our sugarhouse and sugarbush.

500' roll of lateral for $53. When buying 50 or 100 rolls at a pop, can be a good saving. Leader had a spring time discount this year so we paid around $48 a 500' roll.

If money wasn't an issue, we would still go with the Leader's lateral tubing but buy our drop lines pre-made.

Spencer, i priced Lapierre at nearly $72 a 500 ft roll for 15yrs and $66 for ten years. What prices are you being quoted if Lapierre is cheaper than Leader?

From bascoms it's just under $50 a roll for lap. Rigid, I get all my stuff from them
https://www.bascommaple.com/item/lappolg5/tubing_5_16/

sjdoyon
07-27-2013, 07:13 PM
From bascoms it's just under $50 a roll for lap. Rigid, I get all my stuff from them
https://www.bascommaple.com/item/lappolg5/tubing_5_16/

Not sure but you might want to check what the tubing is rated for. I think you are looking at a 5 year rating instead of 10 or 15.

spencer11
07-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's 5 year tubing

lew
07-28-2013, 10:05 AM
I've been using CDL semi-rigid for laterals and drops for 8 years now. Paid around $55 per roll last year. 8 year old tubing still looks like the day I hung it. looks like new. limbs can lay on it all year and it comes right back up where it belongs. Love the stuff. I have used 30P, but didn't like it. Granted I used different companies fitting with it and they slipped, my fault. But I couldn't get by the taste. I put it in my mouth to soften it for a fitting and it tasted horrible. The 30P mainline is awesome to work with, but too expensive.

Walling's Maple Syrup
07-29-2013, 11:37 AM
We use CDL rigid for laterals and CDL semi-rigid for drops. Found that rigid works better for us for laterals because it doesn't stretch and sag as much and still has good memory if limbs fall on it. Have bought and installed well over 200 rolls of Cdl 5/16's in the last 2 years and have had good luck with it. I did buy 40 rolls of D&G tubing last year that I installed on one mainline. I had no real complaints with that either, except memory was not as good. It was about $6 a roll cheaper though.

GeneralStark
07-29-2013, 12:19 PM
I have been using CDL rigid and semi-rigid for four years and like it all. I am generally switching over to using all rigid for laterals and semi rigid for drops. I generally use 5 year for drops and 10 year for lats.

It does seem quite important to use one manufacturer's fittings with their tubing.