PDA

View Full Version : Used Vacuum Pumps

Scribner's Mountain Maple
07-24-2013, 07:26 PM
I am new to the different types vacuum systems. I looked at a used Busch Rotary Claw Pump (5HP) today and really don't know how to evaluate it to know if;

a. it is a reasonable deal? (this pump is 3 years used and is priced at about 75% of a new pump)
b. is it in good working order? (owner said he has to put 1/2 oz of ATF during the season daily or every other day)
c. should I just get a new one?

Thanks,
Ben

spud
07-25-2013, 05:34 AM
[QUOTE=Scribner's Mountain Maple;227303]I am new to the different types vacuum systems. I looked at a used Busch Rotary Claw Pump (5HP) today and really don't know how to evaluate it to know if;

a. it is a reasonable deal? (this pump is 3 years used and is priced at about 75% of a new pump)
b. is it in good working order? (owner said he has to put 1/2 oz of ATF during the season daily or every other day)
c. should I just get a new one?

If you try to save a buck it will wind up costing you two. I know there are Traders with different feelings on this subject (buying used vacuum pumps). I can only speak for myself and my feeling is stay away from used Vacuum pumps. I have posted in the past that I know several people that have bought used Vacuum pumps. They were all told they worked great but every one of them had problems (some major) that cost them more money in the end then buying a new one. If you can afford a new pump you would be much better off. What I am not saying is all used Vacuum pumps are junk. There are some good used pumps for sale I'm sure. It's just I have never seen one. If it was me I would only buy new. I wish you all the best.

Spud

07-25-2013, 06:21 AM
I would steer clear of it I don't think ATF should have been put in there I know a little bit of water will wreck havoc on it.

07-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for your feedback guys. I was feeling concerned about spending that kind of money on used.

I think the ATF was used whenever a ticking sound was heard. My guess is a slight amount of water vapor got in the pump and the ATF was used to get it out.

I don't think the person was trying to sell me a piece of junk, actually I really liked talking with him think the pump is probably good to go.

The things in the conversation that concerned me were the daily use of the ATF to resolve the ticking sound and that the pump would not get above 26". 26" is still high vac. The pump is sitting at 1800' in elevation, so maybe 26 is the best it can achieve in that location.

I don't need the 5hp yet for my operation, so I think I will just get a new 3 HP.

I was recently told the 3hp can handle 4,000 taps on a tight system, so that should work for me for now.

philkasza
07-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Just my 2 cents but if you are going to spend money on a new pump, spend an extra $500 and get a little bigger one than the dealer wants to sell you. Figure 3 cfm for every 100 taps, IT IS WORTH IT BY FAR!!! It took me a year to learn to go big on the pump.

Samuel

07-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Samuel, I totally want the 5hp to over size the pump and allow for expansion, but it isn't 500 more. It is 2500 more. Would you still go bigger or invest that 2500 into new taps this year? I need more taps so thats where I am leaning

spud
07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Last year I put in 1500 new taps at a cost of about $6.00 per tap. If you had an extra $2500 to spend I would put it into the vacuum pump. That much money would only give you 400 more taps in all. I bet the new vacuum pump would make you more money with you're existing taps then the extra 400 taps. You might also use your old pump as a trade in for the new one. This could save you some money. If you're going new then go Two Stage for sure. I would rather have 28 inches in the woods then 24-26 inches or less. If your in good with your local maple dealer they may credit you everything you need and then you pay them back at the end of sugaring.

Spud

07-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Spud, I was intending to buy a new 3 HP busch pump this year that will be capable of 3-4000 taps. The question is do I get the 5 HP now at the 2500 more in cost vs the 3 hp. I won't need the capacity that a 5 HP brings for 2 seasons. At that time when I have reached the capacity of the 3 HP, I was planning to get another 3 HP. Does this make sense, or do you think I should just get the 5 HP now? If I do get the 5 HP now, it will reduce the number of new taps added on some land I leased by 400 (like you said before).

Thanks,
Ben

spud
07-26-2013, 05:56 PM
If the new taps you plan to get are monster maples with high sugar content then I would go with them first. Your new 3 HP pump will run your system well if everything is tight. The best all around advise I could give is don't put yourself in big debt. Your plan of buying another 3 HP pump in a few years could work well for you. If you connect the two pumps together and one of the pumps should break down the other will run your system until you fix the broken pump. You're not some little back yard operation. It sounds like in a few years you will have a real money making operation. Buy what you can afford when you can afford it and don't let a dealer talk you into something you don't need. I wish you the best.

Spud