PDA

View Full Version : New Nutrition Labeling Regs for Canada

HanginAround
10-03-2006, 09:22 AM
I was at a Nova Scotia Maple Producers camp tour on the weekend, and along with a nice roast beef lunch, they had arranged for someone from Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to give a presentation on the new regulations for Nutrition Facts Tables (NFT) labeling . If anyone wants more info or has questions, I have her handout that has some of the answers, and many web links to sites that deal with the topic. Let me know if you want me to post some info here. Producers with sales over $1 million were required to be compliant at the end of '05, and smaller producers have until the end of '07, so now is the time to start thinking if you have to re-do labels, or send products to a testing lab, etc. It isn't all as bad as you might think... and producers who sell only at the camp, roadside, or flea and farmers markets are exempt, so that will ease some minds.

I know U.S. has had NFT on food products for years, but is it required for maple products or are they exempt? What effects do the regs have on maple producers?