PDA

View Full Version : iPhone app

ldick
07-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Anyone know if there is an iPhone app that I could use to determine best route for main line? What I envision is that I take the phone to most or all the trees and record their GPS location. Then when finished the app would show a map with a dot (or other symbol) for each tree.I could then plan the most efficient route for the line.

jmayerl
07-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Invent it I'll buy it. Don't think you will find an app like that out right now.

Thompson's Tree Farm
07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
I think you might better use a topo map and plan the best rought for a main line according to slope.

ldick
07-17-2013, 06:48 AM
My woods is pretty much flat. Topo is not a consideration.

mapleack
07-17-2013, 06:58 AM
When in the woods the position an Iphone records will only be accurate to 30 feet, if that. Not really good enough for plotting tree locations.

heus
07-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Would it be "consistently" inaccurate? For example if its 30 feet off will it be 30 ft off wherever measured? If so all you need is the difference between measured points not a true reading.

ldick
07-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Would it be "consistently" inaccurate? For example if its 30 feet off will it be 30 ft off wherever measured? If so all you need is the difference between measured points not a true reading.

OK, if an iPhone is not accurate enough do you know if hand held GPS units are more accurate? Perhaps an application could be made for one of those.

ldick
07-17-2013, 02:19 PM
There are GPS receivers that can be attached to an iphone. They guarantee 8-9 ft accuracy at cost of about $100. Will see if I can find something even more accurate. The one on my farm tractor is accurate to 10 inches ( and sub inch accuracy is available for more $$) but they cost a lot more than $100.

DrTimPerkins
07-17-2013, 04:38 PM
There are GPS receivers that can be attached to an iphone. They guarantee 8-9 ft accuracy at cost of about $100.

Yes, you can get 8-9 ft under ideal conditions (multiple satellites with excellent positioning, not moving). Under a tree canopy is a different thing altogether. The only way you'll get down to under a few ft in the woods is with differential GPS, which will require a fixed base station and a differential receiver (not your typical cheap GPS) with a really good antenna when you are standing in an opening in the forest. Consumer-level GPS just isn't good enough to map individual trees. Unfortunately the errors are generally random, so you can't just apply a single offset to all the readings to get the proper geographic location.....hence the need for differential GPS. That will get you down to inches or less, but at a fairly steep cost. Lastly, the errors in elevation (height) are the largest, often in tens of ft. Since you're on fairly flat land, consumer GPS will be nearly worthless to plot a path downhill.

ldick
07-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Yes, you can get 8-9 ft under ideal conditions (multiple satellites with excellent positioning, not moving). Under a tree canopy is a different thing altogether. The only way you'll get down to under a few ft in the woods is with differential GPS, which will require a fixed base station and a differential receiver (not your typical cheap GPS) with a really good antenna when you are standing in an opening in the forest. Consumer-level GPS just isn't good enough to map individual trees. Unfortunately the errors are generally random, so you can't just apply a single offset to all the readings to get the proper geographic location.....hence the need for differential GPS. That will get you down to inches or less, but at a fairly steep cost. Lastly, the errors in elevation (height) are the largest, often in tens of ft. Since you're on fairly flat land, consumer GPS will be nearly worthless to plot a path downhill.

You are correct on the tree canopy thing. It would definitely have to be done when leaves are off and even then might be a challenge in some woods. I personally am not concerned about figuring in slope (there is basically none - I use laser for that) although I realize that would be a major consideration for many producers. My main concern was to minimize length of tubing runs by finding optimal path. Maybe this is an opportunity for some entrepreneur who is willing to invest in high dollar differential GPS system and then provide this service (for a fee of course) to producers.