PDA

View Full Version : Bascom's New Bulk Syrup Drum Policy

OldManMaple
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
New drum policy to go into effect March 1st 2014 at Bascom's
http://www.bascommaple.com/bruces-corner/

jmayerl
07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Bout darn time a big packer steps up to the plate and sets a good example for the industry!

maple flats
07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Bruce is at least 12 mos. behind most buyers. It's about time.

PerryFamily
07-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I have no problem with any of it. Quality should be #1.

I am sure no longer providing barrels for some will be a challenge for some.

I tend to disagree with the life expectancy of an epoxy drum. If properly cleaned, stored and cared for I believe the life should be significantly longer than 3 yrs.

Lets just hope the very people who set the policy follow it.

All and all I have no issues with it. I have been there many times and seen some pretty sketchy galvanized barrels and non food grade pails awaiting a quality control check!!

maple flats
07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
And I watched poor sanitary practices the 2 times I sold to them. The main thing I noticed was the testing of the syrup. Both times they opened each bbl and drew a sample, put it into a container, tested grade, tasted it and then dumped it back into the BBL. Why would anyone taste a sample and then dump the rest back into the bbl?

PerryFamily
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Flats-I would agree. I was there once and there was syrup in 5 gallon sheet rock pails!! In the cooler guys (Dave ) defense, He refused to buy it and told me he made Bruce himself buy it and sign for it. Hence my comment " hopefully the person who implemented the policy follows it ", its not worth the paper its written on if the owner and creator doesn't follow it. It was waiting for quality control. I would think there would always be residual mud containing silica in those pails. I wouldnt think it was worth the risk putting organic and other certifications in jeopardy for 15 gallons of crap syrup.

On the other hand , Dave has always treated me well as far as grade.

Although it adds to the expense side, I have no problem with the new rules and regulations. There are always less expensive alternatives and still be food grade.

maple2
07-16-2013, 06:18 AM
the way i understand it is that each year a different state will have to comply with the same standards as Bruce. there is going to be alot of old drums out there. welded together, they make great culverts, though.

maple flats
07-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Be very careful welding galvanized drums. The fumes are toxic. Have a proper respirater or use a good fan to blow the fumes away from you.

mountainvan
07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
4 galvanized drums and a sheet of plywood makes a handy movable work table. just the right height.

spud
07-16-2013, 09:05 AM
4 galvanized drums and a sheet of plywood makes a handy movable work table. just the right height.

Yea if your four foot tall:lol:.

Spud

upsmapleman
07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
These restrictions are to meet the new food laws. Now they will be able to track syrup right back to the source where it was produced if there is a problem. Also they will be able to keep records of production for taxes as now it will be recorded and tracked as to how much syrup you have produced and sold. A few keys punched in a govertment office somewhere will tell them everything about your syrup.

red maples
07-16-2013, 03:02 PM
At the bottom it says there is a steep drop in price for new barrels what would be considered steep?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
07-18-2013, 07:47 AM
whats wrong with you guys that put your syrup in non food grade containers stepping up to the plate. seems to me its your responsibility as well to sell in food grade containers.

PerryFamily
07-18-2013, 01:08 PM
I dont think anyone has a problem, merely stating the new policy.
I think people have the feeling that the only food grade option is stainless steele barrels and that is just not the case. There are all sizes of poly and epoxy that are food grade that are affordable as well.

brookledge
07-25-2013, 06:14 PM
The whole topic of not using galv. barrels comes down to sanitation(possible rust) and lead. Another reason why if you are still using anything with lead solder you should replace it asap so hopefully there is still some value in it before no one wants it and you are the last one holding it. Just like those that started to sell their galv. drums a while back and invest in stainless. It cost a little more but at least you get something for your old drum.
Keith