PDA

View Full Version : 9 or 12.5 high tensile

K.I. Joe
07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Do you use the 9 wire or the 12.5 high tensile wire and why? I can get the high tensile for 1/4 of the price of the 9 wire

maple flats
07-15-2013, 06:17 AM
For the times I use wire, I use high tensile, price and it does not stretch. For most of my mains I have no wire, except on the flattest sections. If I can get 2% slope or better I don't even use wire.

K.I. Joe
07-15-2013, 07:31 PM
And it doesnt sag? Most of what I am reading states that the use of wire is a necessity???? Is this just a marketing ploy to sell wire??

sjdoyon
07-15-2013, 07:37 PM
we use the high tensile on our wet/dry lines (2") and (1") mainlines. We use the high tensile for two reasons, 15-20 percent grade in most of the sugarbush and moose, moose, moose. We keep the lines 5-6 foot off the ground and the moose go under the lines and flip them. Not so kind to our lateral lines the first year but they've adapted now stay in the trails.

Moser's Maple
07-15-2013, 09:50 PM
ki joe
welcome to the joys of the maple industry and online forum answers, now add the same question on 2 sites and get even more different answers. I say do what will work for you. you know the slope of your woods, and the lay of your land, so it's up to you to decide what is best for your set up. you could also hire a pro to come in to set up just a small part of the woods, so you would get an idea how they do things....just a thought.
At our place we put high tensile on all of our mainlines. I just like the security of know the wire is there supporting the line, and know if I need to tighten the line I just have to do more of a pull back on the line or tighten the ratchet at the ends of the lines.

spud
07-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Tractor Supply sells the 12.5 in 4000 foot rolls for just $90.00 or so. If you have sags in your mainlines it will affect your vacuum. I have had several branches or trees fall on my mains and once I cut them off it springs right back to place without any harm to the mainline. I would highly recommend using wire on all mainlines.

Spud

K.I. Joe
07-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Looks like I will go the wire route. thanks for the advice guys

Rossell's Sugar Camp
07-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I have only ever seen 12.5. never seen anybody use 9. I did in one place because I got it for free and I regret it because its a pain in the behind.