PDA

View Full Version : Nothing better to do than smash a mailbox?

Bruce L
07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Going to be last night I heard some banging noises,thought maybe someone touching off fireworks in the distance.Woke up this morning and found out otherwise,at the end of our laneway where our mailbox,civic address numbers,centry farm sign,and solar lights to mark the driveway atop large quarried stones we fond someone or group had been on a smashing spree last night. Everything was all smashed to pieces,what upset us the most is the mailbox which my Mother had spent considerable time on painting birds,she is now in the hospital dying,so at least she can't see what happenened. I walked down to check out the sugarhouse fearing the worst,but upon seeing no tracks in I knew I was safe as this type would be too lazy to walk in to do damage. Police came by and then took a drive up the road, said there were about 20-25 driveways done. Incidentally our driveway is about 250 yards away from the house,so even if I had a window facing that way I probably would not have seen anything, guess lucky for them or car could have had a large caliber bullet hole through the engine block?????

maple flats
07-14-2013, 07:15 PM
It seems like some idiots think it is fun to destroy others property. My brother had that issue a few years ago. He has a large model std mail box. they appeared to have hit it with a club or ball bat. He replaced it and they did the same thing again about 4-6 weeks later. So then he decided to solve the issue. He asked at the post office because he wanted to weld up his own box but was told he could only use an official "postmaster Approved" mail box. Then he just decided to make a cover for the official box. He welded up a barn out of 1/8" steel, had a peaked roof and all. painted it red and even painted windows in the sides. Everything was 1/8" steel except the front was open to access the "official box". He even made it mount solid to the 6x6 post using 3/8 x 4 lag bolts. A few weeks later he discovered some scratching on some of the paint and part of a broken wooden ball bat laying near by. He was never bothered again.
If these individuals put that much effort into something constructive they would get a lot done.

noreast maple
07-14-2013, 08:42 PM
thats society today for you . the only way they think they can have fun is to destruct something of someone elses, otherwise they say that they are bored . shows you what kind of upbringing they get dont it . I agree with dave, if they put the effort into good ,it wouldnot have time to be bored. Alot of these guys are just doing it to make themselves look cool to their buddys. Sorry to hear you had to be on the receiving end.

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-15-2013, 05:07 AM
It seems like some idiots think it is fun to destroy others property. My brother had that issue a few years ago. He has a large model std mail box. they appeared to have hit it with a club or ball bat. He replaced it and they did the same thing again about 4-6 weeks later. So then he decided to solve the issue. He asked at the post office because he wanted to weld up his own box but was told he could only use an official "postmaster Approved" mail box. Then he just decided to make a cover for the official box. He welded up a barn out of 1/8" steel, had a peaked roof and all. painted it red and even painted windows in the sides. Everything was 1/8" steel except the front was open to access the "official box". He even made it mount solid to the 6x6 post using 3/8 x 4 lag bolts. A few weeks later he discovered some scratching on some of the paint and part of a broken wooden ball bat laying near by. He was never bothered again.
If these individuals put that much effort into something constructive they would get a lot done.
My neighbor as a kid in Phx didn't ask to build his own just did it, Made a Gambrel style mail box painted it like a barn, he was a prof. welder it look awesome. Not only did people beat them with bats they would run them over so he made the pole to look like a saguaro cactus. He came out one morning found the mail box down the street but there was oil and trany fluid all down the street and around the corner.

maple flats
07-15-2013, 06:14 AM
As I said, my brother had no more issues. The person he suspected was in court sometime shortly after on another matter and his sentence was jail time or the service. He took the marines.