PDA

View Full Version : pan with dividers

wall hollow
07-12-2013, 07:11 PM
i recently bought a 3x5 flat bottom pan with dividers that run length wise. I have only ever used a flat bottom pan without dividers. The pan i bought has plugs for the holes in the dividers. My question is when/how exactly do you use the plugs? Are they used at the beginning of the boil to get the density gradient? How much sap do you put in the pan to get a good gradient flowing? Any advice/tips on using a pan with dividers is appreciated.

SeanD
07-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Congratulations! You'll be able to make a whole bunch of syrup on a pan that big. The plugs are for keeping your gradient when you are all done boiling for the day. If you left them all open, the fresh sap in the first channel would mix with the near syrup in the last channel and everything in between. This way when you start up on your next boil, you can pick up right where you left off and draw off sooner and more consistently.

You'll have to practice timing the flooding of your pan and when to add the plugs. After a few boils you'll get a feel for the pan and you'll be comfortable walking away from it at the end of a boil.

Post a pic when you get a chance.

Sean

brookledge
07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Sean is correct. Plug them when you are done and it will keep the sap that is close to being done. Then the next boil remove them as you are begining to boil. It will help give you lighter syrup and you should be able to draw off a little from time to time while having raw sap being fed in the other side
Keith