PDA

View Full Version : Maple Assoc. Planning meeting.

220 maple
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
July 20th 1 to 4 a small group of WV producers will meet at Weston WV. The goal of the meeting is to get a Maple Assoc. started in the Mountain State. We need an Assoc. for several reasons. As my friend with the West Virginia Extension Service said, "The state tree is the Sugar Maple, why not a Maple Assoc." Any suggestions for good contacts with assoc. leaders who might share ideas on how their associations work?

Mark 220 Maple

wvsugarshak
07-10-2013, 03:46 PM
hi mark got the invite to the meeting. Really want to attend but I am Chainsaw Carvings at the Washinton County ag Fair that day. Sorry, will you Keep me advise as to what transpires.

thanks

WVsSugarshak

brookledge
07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Mark
I'm on the board of directors of our association in Massachusetts. The way we are structured is our board meets once a month, and sometimes will either cancel or add extra meetings depending on our needs. We have a coordinator who gets paid. He is responsible for the day to day business answering the inquiries from the media, website, phone line etc. The board members are volunteers. We are elected by the members of the association at our annual meeting we have in January. The coordinator prepares the adjenda for our meetings based on our topics. Basicly we set policy and he carries it out. The board appoints the Pres. vp. sec.the treas. gets a stypen also. Our association also operates a wharehouse that sells jugs and other items with our association logo. That is the basics. I can always be more specific if you want.
Keith

220 maple
07-23-2013, 11:13 PM
We had a great meeting Sat. I believe we are off and running. Elected some officers and appointed 3 board of directors.
Now the real work begins. Bylaws, Web Page etc....

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
08-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Had a display about the magic of maples at the State Fair of West Virginia, located in the Dept. of Ag building. Handed out samples of syrup, candy and coated nuts. Had several people inquire about whether they had the potential to make syrup in their home counties, may need to go look at some woods in Fayette, Webster and Harrison counties. Also discovered new producers that I did not know existed.

Mark 220 Maple

hgjobe
09-26-2013, 07:54 PM
It is about time for another meeting. Group update or something?

220 maple
09-30-2013, 04:03 PM
hgjobe,
I agree, planning on another meeting in Oct. I was promised we could use the same location for future meetings. I just received the list of e-mail addresses last week,
I'm hoping to jump back in and get things rolling after this weekends festival, last festival of the season for me.
Mark 220 Maple

hgjobe
12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
From that first meeting I had high hopes at first about getting the association up and running. Looks like it may have been a lot of wishful thinking and talk. Mark, your the President... get some info out to everyone.

Sonny