PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry's

spud
07-02-2013, 05:39 AM
I just noticed yesterday that both my patches of Raspberry's have no berry's in site. Last year in mid July I could pick 4-6 gallons of Raspberry's from these two patches but this year there is not even a sign of a berry. Do wild Raspberry's thrive every other year instead of every year? My Blackberry's are coming in real strong and I will have a bunch of them in 4 weeks or so. I am sorry for this being non maple related but the patches are in my Sugarwoods.:) Any info would be great. Thanks

Spud

maple flats
07-02-2013, 06:47 AM
I don't know about wild raspberries, but domesticated red raspberries fruit every year. Our reds however have had too much rain and humidity. While they are not flooded the berries are molding on the bush just as they ripen. We have rain in the forecast everyday for the next week. Before this we had planned to pick and sell at our local Farmer's Market this week, but that won't happen now. While I do set up to sell syrup, I don't go if that is all I have. However one vendor there is also selling my syrup so it works out. In fact, just last week that vendor bought (yes he buys it up front) another $575.00 more worth of syrup.

spud
07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
We have had nothing but rain for weeks. Maybe that is why the berry's are not there. I have noticed on some of my apple trees that my apples are falling off. I was told that it is because the tree has had too much water. The trees that have the apples falling off are in a wet area. This rain does not seem to be bothering the blackberry's so far because I have a ton of them on the way.

Spud

maple flats
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I have a ton of raspberries (about 1/3 acre planted in rows between 2 locations. The only issue now is the mold forming.
Later in the season watch out for the Spotted Wing Drosophala, another pest from China that lays several eggs in developing fruit and then they are unmarketable. Read what you can use in your area. Here last year (they first hit NY in 2011 [after hitting California in 2008], I first had them in 2012) was spinosad, this year a special emergency approval was made for Malithion. Check with your state, and read and follow all directions!

spud
07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I will have to check what I can use because I am Organic with my sugar woods.

Spud

Cake O' Maple
07-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Did you have a drought last year? Raspberries bear on 2nd-year canes (the first year the canes grow, and produce leaves only. The next year those same canes bear fruit. They may bear again another year, but not well). If the canes growing last year couldn't pull enough moisture and nutrition, they may not have been able to bear because of that.

maple flats
07-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I will have to check what I can use because I am Organic with my sugar woods.

Spud
Verify, but it believe the Spinosad is organic.

maple flats
07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Did you have a drought last year? Raspberries bear on 2nd-year canes (the first year the canes grow, and produce leaves only. The next year those same canes bear fruit. They may bear again another year, but not well). If the canes growing last year couldn't pull enough moisture and nutrition, they may not have been able to bear because of that.
Last year, during the drought I put in almost 6 acres of drip irrigation. My bushes look great. There are 2 seasons in the red raspberries each year. The first is a concentrated season on last year's canes and is much faster picking because the berries mature over a short 3 weeks or so. That is the one I have now. The second season is a long one and is on this years new canes. It starts in late July or early August and lasts until hard frost. About 3 yrs ago we picked up until Nov 11. This season is slower picking because each cane flowers as it reaches maturity and the picking is slower. The spotted Wing Drosophila was not an issue until about early August last year, but time will tell for this year. That fly has some specific temperature needs to reproduce, but when those are met, watch out!!
The canes that bear during the second season are the ones that bear in the first season next year, then they die (the cane, not the root system.)

spud
07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Is it possible that the canes are just a little behind because of all the rain? I am going to keep checking on them from time to time in hopes I will be surprised in a month or so. I am going to check on the product (Spinosad) to see if I can use it. There was no drought last year for me.

Spud

Bruce L
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
We were all excited about getting cherries this year,but a check on the tree this morning looks like probably 80% of the cherries are moldy on the bottom from all of the wet weather?
Bruce

Thad Blaisdell
07-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Spud,

I highly suggest planting some raspberry bushes. The yields are way greater and much larger berries.

maple flats
07-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Thad,
What kind of red raspberries do you have?

spud
07-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Spud,

I highly suggest planting some raspberry bushes. The yields are way greater and much larger berries.

Thad,

I agree with what you are saying. In Alaska we grew Thornless Raspberry's and they were the size of a strawberry. In time we do plan to grow some but everything cost money. I thought of you the other day when I was at Bate's Farm Supply in Enosburg. They had Blueberry plants there that must of had 1-2 quarts of berry's on them. They were very large berry's but I am not sure what kind they were. They are having a sale 35% off everything and I think those plants were selling for $25.00 or so. I hinted around to the wife but it was not sinking in. We have two friends from Alaska visiting this week so it has been very busy. Did the Jay Peak Water Park yesterday and had fun. If we have any money left over after our guest are gone I might sneak back and buy 8-10 of those blueberry plants. They also had Cherry trees that I have always wanted to try. When I go to a farm supply store or greenhouse I am like a kid in a candy store. Thanks for all the info all of you have been giving me. I know it's not Maple but it sure is fun.

Spud