PDA

View Full Version : Is reverse flow necessary on 3X8

K.I. Joe
06-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Reverse flow is an 800 dollar option on my 3X8 cross flow evaporator. Does it help on the smaller evaporators or is it most helpful for the larger. I guess what I am asking is do you have to reverse the flow on boils with the smaller evaporators? Do the niter build up fast enough to require the reversal of flow during a boil? Would I be better off getting another set of pans?

Spanielslovesappin
06-29-2013, 04:37 AM
Having warped a 30" X 3' Syrup pan due to niter build up i would never again be without a reverse flow option on my Syrup pan though i have never used a cross flow with the option to swap pans. My gut says that reversing flow for $800 is a cheap and easy way to combat niter and in my mind well worth it.

heus
06-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Yes go for it. Reversing works well on my 30x3 syrup pan.

maple flats
06-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Yes, my 3x8 has a 3x3 syrup pan, cross flow and at times the niter builds rather fast. I reverse as soon a I see signs of niter (the bubbles tell the story). I do it by letting the syrup go a little high and then I do a longer draw until it is about 2 degrees low. Then I switch and I have a new draw fairly quick. What I do is as soon as the bubbles start looking close in the middle sections after a switch, I draw 2 or 3- 2 qt. draws from the new valve and pour it into the new inlet. Then I get flow soon after and my gradient is re established. This is relating to my pans where I get between 7-8 gph draw running about 10% average concentrate. To reverse mine it only takes about 15 seconds. I close the feed valve, move the float to the other float box (same side draw) and then open the new feed valve. My custom flue pan (10" high raised flue) does not reverse and I have found no ill effects with that.

TheMapleMoose
06-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Not to keep reiterating something that's been said but we reverse on our 2x2 syrup pan every 90 mins or so, depending on how much Niter is getting built up. We run 8% concentrate on average so our little pan gets pushed pretty hard making 4-4.5 gph. If I don't reverse the flow it means some hard hard cleaning post boil. By reversing the flow I can usually handle the clean with a warm permeate soak and don't usually need any pan cleaner.

PerryW
06-29-2013, 10:47 AM
I have reversible flow on my 3x10 and I reverse it after each boil. I can usually make it the who season without ever cleaning the front pan. If I expect to make well over 100 gallons, I will drain and clean it. From my understanding, those without the reversable flow option have to clean after 30 or 40 gallons or the pan will burn.

Mine is not cross flow however. I thought for cross-flow, you would just buy another front pan and swap them out (instead of reversing the flow)/???

maple flats
06-29-2013, 01:06 PM
While mine is cross flow, it has 4 channels in the pan. I am getting a second pan, in fact it is ready and waiting at Thor, with my name on it right now. I'm not sure I'd swap mid boil, at this time I'm thinking more on swapping before start up on a new boil and then clean that one while I boil on the other. I think the cross flows that get changed more often are done with narrower pans but more than 1 in series. Mine is just a single 3x3 pan with the flow going across rather than front to back.