PDA

View Full Version : Boiling aprons?

HyeOnMaple
06-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for an apron to wear while boiling? I am looking at welding aprons (full length leather), but wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. Thx

Gary R
06-20-2013, 06:12 AM
My suggestion would be to insulate the arch instead. I had an oil tank arch. I used 1" ceramic insulation under fire brick and on the back of the door. It was not very hot in front of it.

psparr
06-20-2013, 08:10 AM
I second Gary's approach. Check out the video I made of my homemade arch and the effect insulation has.

Also you'll get a better boil rate with insulation. http://youtu.be/YM8FXYav-PE

Michael Greer
06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
I agree. After working for two years on an un-insulated arch, we started working with an insulated unit, and what a difference it makes. No more cooked blue jeans, and more heat saved is more heat applied to the work at hand.

slammer3364
06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
My daughter bought me a apron similar to what a Butcher would wear,it has a picture of a big maple leaf on it and Sap Master printed on it. She had it made while living in NY city,really not for sfety but pretty cool

PerryFamily
07-01-2013, 04:48 AM
I have thought about a apron not so much for heat but to keep from getting stuff on my shirt and pants. Both sides while drawing spatter syrup everywhere. Mayne my pail is too far away? Dunno either way would b nice if every boil didnt mean new clothes.

Gary R
07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I too get splatter and it burns on the side of the arch. The syrup was only dropping about 12" into a 12" deep pail. I neighboring backyarder showed be something. He jury rigged a piece of aluminum foil around the outlet. It looked like an extension of a pipe nipple but was restricted a little bit at the end. No more splatter! I think a piece of hose that is clamped on the end to produce a little restriction would work best. Have others done this?

Dave Y
07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
My advise is get the bucket closer and dont stand where you will get splattered.

wiam
07-02-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't get much spatter, but the first draw of the day is about the only time it runs into an empty bucket

maple flats
07-02-2013, 03:46 PM
My draw off tank has a rounded bottom. The draw off gently hits the round and I now get no splatter. I also had my tank built with adjustable legs so I could raise the tank to clear the valve by only about 4". The tank then has a drain, hooked to high temp. hose and goes to the filter press. Then on recirculate it is pumped to the finisher.

Gary R
07-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Dave Y, I can't get the pot any closer and it's not me I'm worried about. I don't like to see burnt syrup on the side of the arch. I like things shinny and clean:) THe hose thing did the trick!