PDA

View Full Version : Modify Leader Half Pint

Woody_Woodruff
06-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Has any one expanded a Leader half pint? They have no kits to do it with, seems like they are missing out on that. Seems easy enough to add a drop pan and lengthen the arch. I searched this forum and found nothing specific to this project. Can't think of a reason not to. I would add a draft blower, maybe gasification. Also seems a good idea to keep standard sizes for existing pans, or have a flu pan in mind/hand for dimensions.

maple flats
06-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I have heard of others doing it in the past. I'm not sure how they ran the plumbing to connect the 2. My guess is that a float box (or 2) were on the drop flue pan and then they somehow tied to the unused draw off to run the concentrate to the front pan.
I think some have also gone to a hybrid pan by Smoky Lake.

bowhunter
06-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Woody,

Here's a link to the Smokey Lake pan. It gets good reviews on this forum. It's about $1,200 and is supposed to boil at 15-20 gallons per hour.
http://www.sugarbush.info/forsale/showproduct.php?product=208&title=smoky-lake26quot-3bfull-pint-26quot-3b-high-output-replacement-pan&cat=9

RileySugarbush
06-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Tom (SadSams) did it. Contact him here or on SB.info and he will probably give you some ideas.

Waynehere
06-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Hey Woody, that is my partner/neighbor's name as well. I actually did what you are looking for to a half pint, twice. I started out with AUF and a drop tube sap pan for a 2x6 the first year. Then I upgraded to both AUF and AOF and jumped from 10 gph with AUF, to 35 GPH with both. I would think that with some normal drop flue pans I might gain a bit more.

Check my links for some pics if you want...

Good luck..