PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have anthracnose? Also leaf ID

Galena
06-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey all

I noticed some pinky-purple splotches on the leaves of some of my sugar maple saplings. According to what I've been reading, a cool damp spring (which we definitely got here in Eastern Ontario) is conducive to anthracnose. I don't see it on the mature maples I tap.

How do you manage pests like anthracnose? Sounds like it doesn't do any lasting harm. I've dealt with tar spot in the past but again it was only one small saplings, the big trees seem fine.

And finally...*will post linky soon*

http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=1072606

what kind of maple leaf is this? All this time I thought all sugars. Then this year I actually paid more attention and saw these leaves. I thought they might be silvers but images I've seen of silvers don't match up, nor does Norway. Sure not sugars!!

Anyone who can help, please do!!

Thanks

Marcus
06-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm guessing red maple since one of the stems of the leaf shows red.
Marcus Yoder

heus
06-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Those are definitely red maple leaves.

Dave Y
06-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Acerrubrum.

happy thoughts
06-16-2013, 08:05 AM
By the red stem and the saw tooth leaf edge it's red maple.

As for anthracnose, it's a fungal disease not a pest. Anything you can do to mitigate wet conditions such as keeping weeds down, thinning to avoid overcrowding and allow more sunlight to reach the leaves, etc., will help Also remove plant litter especially fallen diseased branches and leaves. I would also avoid use of mulch around the trees. I have a crab apple that is prone to this because of it's location. Some springs it has become almost completely defoliated but leaves have grown back when the weather and temps improve.

Galena
06-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the consensus on the leaves/trees being red maples...but I always thought the maples with the dark red leaves were red maples...what are they, then? When I worked with horses it was very important to know, as horses can get fatally ill from eating the leaves of a red maple.

And yes looks like I have a lot of thinning and leaf litter removal to do!...and finally, one of the main reasons that I assumed those red maples were sugars is because all the saplings around all the trees are sugar maples. Why am I not finding saplings from the reds?

happy thoughts
06-16-2013, 09:41 AM
...but I always thought the maples with the dark red leaves were red maples...what are they, then?

Those red leaved trees are usually cultivars of Norway maple, bred for the red year round colo(u)r of their leaves. True red maples (acer rubrum) may never have red leaves even in the fall. Many just turn golden. Buds, small new growth twigs, and flowers are always red though, which is where I assume it gets it's name.

heus
06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
The maples with the purple leaves are called king crimson maples.

Galena
06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
...True red maples (acer rubrum) may never have red leaves even in the fall. Many just turn golden....

Ahh, that explains why I am always raking up tons of golden yellow leaves in the fall!! Almost wondering now if they know their neighbours are sugars and trying to camouflage themselves somehow? I know, sounds weird, just tossing it out there. And I always wondered where the jaggedy-edged leaves came from, though clearly not enough to just look up and see why:emb:

Still mystified as to why I can't find any red maple saplings, though there are sugar maple saplings a-plenty. Are sugars more prolific or reds more selective about where they grow? And 2 of the 3 confirmed reds are my Burly Monsters, some small burls on the others but not to the exent of the reds.

lulugrein
10-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Any thoughts on the value (or lack of) in tapping a Norway King Crimson? Neighbor has one and is inquiring. Hate to disappoint him but not sure its a good idea.

Those red leaved trees are usually cultivars of Norway maple, bred for the red year round colo(u)r of their leaves. True red maples (acer rubrum) may never have red leaves even in the fall. Many just turn golden. Buds, small new growth twigs, and flowers are always red though, which is where I assume it gets it's name.

Super Sapper
10-29-2014, 05:31 AM
If it's a maple tap it. You can even tap boxelder which is in the maple family.