PDA

View Full Version : Homemade arch what to use as a blower? Ideas

Green Bastard
06-13-2013, 02:43 PM
My home made 2x5 arch is on its way to being done and I was Just wondering what ppl use as their blower that is most cost effective? Will duct fans work? beginner to this so any advice helps thanks.

wiam
06-13-2013, 03:14 PM
If you are talking about the fans that come in a short piece of round duct then NO. I tried one on my 2x6 when I first got it. The fire burned better with the draft door open than with that fan. At minimum you need a squirrel cage. Mine came off a Miller mobil home furnace.

maple flats
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
If you are talking about a draft blower, a small squirrel cage blower will work, maybe something in the 400-500 CFM, with an adjustable flow by using a slide gate or swing plate. It only needs be made of sheet metal. If you are thinking air over fire you need a high pressure blower, one that has paddles to "throw the air", not like a squirrel cage that "flings the air". An old small furnace blower can work for the draft fan. What ever you use, make sure it is built well enough to hold up to hours of use at a time, I.E. "continuous duty".
A duct booster fan will not move enough air to be useful.