PDA

View Full Version : Increased Boiling Rate

MapleMark753
06-09-2013, 05:28 AM
I've been doing a bunch of reading in areas regarding how to increase the boiling rate, and came upon another idea that may have relevance to us here. In short, just like many have air under fire set ups, an "air over boiling sap" set up would seem to increase the boiling rate measurably. The physics of it seems sound, my source is the physics department of the university of Illinois. You can look up a lot of info by just typing "water evaporation rate" into any search engine. Hot dry air moving over the boiling sap surface at moderate speed would seem to be whats needed.
I haven't done an experiment on this (unlike the earlier pan bottom coating experiment) but WILL do it in August when doing the test boils on the new Lapierre that's on order. The set up I'm thinking of would just be similar to the squirrel cage fan/ducting set ups of air under fire. If any have tried this, and either succeeded or failed, I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks, Mark.

Randy Brutkoski
06-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Ask Cboyer, he knows everything. He is always right.

DrTimPerkins
06-09-2013, 09:32 AM
This is one of those things that is good in theory, but hard to achieve in practice. The difficulty lies in moving a large volume of air without cooling the surface of the liquid. Call me someday if you wish to chat about it in some detail.

MapleMark753
06-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks, will do. Hopefully its merely difficult, not impossible (humor). Mark

Bruce L
06-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Where's Frank when we need him?

MapleMark753
06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Well, after further consideration, I'm shelving this idea for now. Physics and equations are one thing, the real world (at least for this idea) is another. Dr. Perkins, in a kind manner, talked some good sense into me. There are other ideas though, but I think I'll try em before I write about em. good luck all, Mark