PDA

View Full Version : advice on the extra plumbing on cross flow pans

metzger1
06-05-2013, 05:49 PM
ordering an evaporator with 2 front cross flow style pans, and they have the option of adding extra plumbing so that the 2 pans can basically be reverse flow by switching valves. It adds about a grand to the cost and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on weather or not it's worth it. In theory it would allow you to boil a bit longer before cleaning the pan(s) but does it make much difference.

maple flats
06-05-2013, 06:33 PM
My pans are cross flow, but only one pan, 4 channels. I love the feature of reversing in an instant, so to speak. I only have 1 float, so I close both valves, move the float, and open the new valve. I only takes maybe 20 seconds and the flow is reversed. Mine came std as such at no up charge. I love the feature but don't know if I would have paid $1000 for it. Now I would after using it. Someday I will likely even buy a second float so I only need to close one valve and open the other. I have not gotten burned changing the float yet, but I'll bet that will happen someday, there is loads of steam there when at full boil.

maple flats
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
About the difference it makes, yes it gives more time before needing a cleaning. I do it about every 2 hrs. I try to run a little thick just before the change, I do a little faster draw until I get the boil down to about 1 degree under syrup, switch the valves and I have new draw in usually 20-35 minutes in the new direction. My old pans more often took 50-70 minutes to draw after a switch, with conventional pans and switching method of changing the draw off from one side to the opposite side.

metzger1
06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
this set up is actually 2 front cross flow type syrup pans and switching flow requires actually switching out the two front pans , by draining and unhooking and swapping them out, or paying the grand to have the extra plumbing that allows the flow to be switched from one pan to the other by valves. I think what you have with the single syrup pan is similar to the setup we have now and are replacing as we need a larger setup.