PDA

View Full Version : Lead testing?

Paul VT
06-02-2013, 06:04 PM
I know there is some way to test your solder on your pans to find out if it is lead solder. How can I do this? Thanks

tmessier79
06-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I know there is some way to test your solder on your pans to find out if it is lead solder. How can I do this? Thanks

Hi Paul,
I can answer this as I just went through this myself about a month ago. The easiest way is to buy a home lead test kid from the hardware store. The one I bought was only $11 bucks. Just make sure the one you buy is for solid surfaces, not liquid. The other way you can tell, without purchasing anything, is by the year the pans were made. I did some extensive research on this before I bought my lead test kit to confirm. Leader stopped using lead in 1991. The others jumped on the wagon in 1995. Prior to these years, they were lead. It's probably a sure guess though that if they are not plainly labeled "Lead Free" they are lead soldered.

Paul VT
06-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Not sure what year my rig is? I will pick one up.
Thanks again.

CharlieVT
06-03-2013, 09:29 AM
The surface test kit may give a negative result if there is a build up of oxides and/or niter on the solder even if there is lead in the solder.
To help in getting accurate results, consider scraping or steel wooling the solder before testing. Consider doing this on an external surface of the pan rather than potentially expose lead on a solder joint inside the pan.

My understanding is that even if there is lead in the solder, an oxide or niter layer will keep the lead away from the sap/syrup. I've read that this is why, when cleaning pans constructed with lead solder, to not scrub or acid treat too much.

Brian Ryther
06-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Where can you get your syrup tested for lead?