PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a tank trailer please

randomseeker
06-02-2013, 04:54 PM
I would like to fit a 100 Imp Gal tank onto a set of wheels that can be pulled by my ATV trailer hitch. I have a spare set of ATV wheels I could reuse. Does anybody have a simple design for a frame I could build (or have built, since I am not that handy) to take this horizontal tank potentially reusing my ATV wheels? Many thanks in advance.

BTW, had a killer year!

jmayerl
06-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I would say the easiest would be make a T frame like a car hauler. Bolt the wheels on to some hubs and use round stock for a axle and pillow blocks under the frame. Way cheaper than buying a real axle and hubs.

maple flats
06-03-2013, 05:06 AM
Before that, consider the weight, sap + trailer. Can your ATV handle that in snow and mud on the land you sugar? Mine hauls that much easily, until you have snow or mud to drive thru. Also, any hills to deal with, up you spin and down you jackknife.

jmayerl
06-03-2013, 08:39 AM
I haul a 275 gallon cage tote on a 4x8 trailer behind my atv........wisconsin.....flat as a pancake(well at least this part).

maple flats
06-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Well I have enough snow here that even with studded diamond pattern chains on all 4's, my 500 cc ATV needs to use the winch to get thru with no trailer at times. Without the snow and on firm ground even 275 is OK, but it would be real hard on the brakes. I don't haul the sap by ATV but I do haul the pump gas by that or the snowmobile as conditions dictate. In the snow I use a Jet sled, rigid tow bar. This does not mean an ATV is no good to haul, just be aware of the traction and pulling requirements, forces and risks, and drive accordingly.

randomseeker
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Re: ATV hauling capacity. I have a Bombardier 550 Traxter XT 4 wheel drive with Camoplast tracks on all four wheels. This season I hauled 240 litres on the ATV itself and 60 gallons on a dumping trailer meant for hauling dirt behind the ATV with no problems, including hills. This machine is fantastic that way. I want to replace the 60 gallon drum in a commercial dumping trailer with the 100 gallon on a custom frame, so the net increase is 40 gallons. I think it will be okay.

maple flats
06-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm not saying it won't do it, I'm saying you are asking the ATV to carry/pull more than the mfgr intended. However the Camoplast tracks would sure help with traction, however you still have not addressed the carried load. My 550 states max load front, 180#, rear 280# with a 180# driver. If I add the 180+280 I get 460. I weigh about 200, so I now must reduce that to 440# if balanced properly front and rear. My guess is that 240 liters of 2% sap weigh a little more than that. Then you throw 60 gal, planned to be 100 gal on a trailer. Ideal trailer balance puts 10% of total on the hitch, but with a fluid load you can never achieve that, it shifts back and forth. Each time it shifts forward you may be adding as much as another 20% over the 10% calculation. 100 gal X 8.3 #/gal = 830. Trailer weight?. Now take the surge weight of 30% when the load shifts forward and you have added another 250# + the 10% of the trailer, which does not shift. I'm just pointing out that you are over loaded and as such you risk equipment break down, costly repairs and right when you need it the most. This is not to say I never overload. Just be prepared for the issues that arise.

TheMapleMoose
06-03-2013, 04:54 PM
We have a homemade sap cart. We use a kubota rtv1100 with tracks to haul it and we haul a 230g leg tank. It would have to be beefed up to take any more weight but it works great. The tires are probably the weakest link in our case as they are kenda atv tires are only rated for 500# I think. I'll try to take some pics when I'm at the sugar house in the morning and post here.

TheMapleMoose
06-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Well it posted them upside down. That's what I get for using an iPhone. I'll try to fix it from my pc later. Ours is tandem axle with the pivot between the wheels. We have a solid axle for it but have never put it in because we've wanted the ground clearance. The draw bar is adjustable in length and it dumps with a boat winch. Any ?s feel free to ask. Sorry about the upside down pics.