PDA

View Full Version : Buying equipment in Canada

Dill
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Figure I'll get better info on here than other forums. I've been looking at some balers in Quebec. I've never bought anything from a dealer across the border. Are there any duties or taxes to pay when I bring it back? Should I pay the dealer to bring it over the border and do the transaction in the states?

maple flats
05-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Based on my experience (1 time only) I am of the opinion that you can get better results bringing it yourself, if for personal use. A dealer must pay a broker fee from the first dollar, you get an exemption on the first ? Here I have heard several numbers and am not sure which it is. Then you need to pay a broker fee over that amount, but I think that fee is lower for the owner than what a dealer pays.
Your dealer may be able to guide you on this question.
The other end of the equasion is many fold. Do you have a passport or enhanced drivers license? Must have one, not both. Second, how far will you need to drive and the costs, compared to what would the freight cost be?
I drove up last year and brought back a $6600+ set of evaporator pans, no broker (I didn't know better) but I did it on Labor Day weekend. The guards were so busy with lines backed up over a mile, they didn't want to get farther behind so they let me cross without a fee.

Dill
05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
I have a passport so I'm not worried about that. I had a similar experience about 8 years ago. I hauled a tractor back from MI and bought a set of plows in Ontario off a private seller. Unforunatly it was a Canadian holiday and the lines were nuts, the guards just waved me through as well. However I was wondering what the actual laws were.