PDA

View Full Version : size of main line??

tcross
05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
I've looked around and can't seem to find a post that would suit me? if there is one, please leave a link!
I am just starting tubing this year and am wondering what size main line i'd need? i'll be putting this all on vacuum. My main will run 400' and this year i'll have 200 taps on it! in a few years I could possibly get 350 on it. would it be smart to run a 1" main for 250'-300' and then change to 3/4 for the end of my run... figuring I could add another 100'-200' of main for additional taps? or would 3/4" be able to handle my 350 max taps on vacuum?

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-30-2013, 09:49 AM
use inch. You need enough space for sap and tree gasses when it is running good. Also the inch will give you a bit more leeway if you have a slight sag.

ennismaple
05-30-2013, 12:24 PM
I agree. Spend the few extra dollars on 1" and you'll make it back with better vacuum transfer to the tree = more sap = more $. We seldom use 3/4" anymore except for relatively short branch mainlines with maybe 100 taps.

spud
05-30-2013, 01:15 PM
It sounds like you are not planning a wet/dry set-up. If this is the case then I would use 1 1/4 mainline. I would only use fixed head Super/Saddles to go with this. I would then go with no more then three taps per lateral line. With good vacuum you would be looking at 25+ GPT with ease. Yea you will have to buy 50 extra saddle's that might cost you $150.00 more dollars. Then the larger mainline will cost you an extra $100-150 dollars but it sure would be worth it.

Spud

maple flats
05-30-2013, 05:00 PM
I would use a wet/dry set up, run 3/4" wet and 1" dry, then tee off the wet and only add laterals in this main. The mains will then likely be shorter or smaller, but I would not go smaller than 3/4". Where each main enters the wet/dry run a tee into the wet and another tee off the main out a few feet, curve it upward and then tee into the dry, of you could use an older method and build a manifold. I prefer the new method, easier and simpler. Doing this the 3/4" wet line will handle the sap from 350 or even 400 taps. And with the wet/dry system you get better vacuum to the outer most laterals. If you only run a single line, go with 1" and do your best in both cases to never exceed 5-6 taps on a lateral. Laterals should also be 100' max length.

Thad Blaisdell
05-30-2013, 08:14 PM
The total run will only be 400 feet. If this is correct a simple 1 inch pipe is all you need. Don't get to confused, and certainly don't overthink it.

tcross
05-31-2013, 06:45 AM
i'm kinda thinking since this is my first year with lines, i'm going to keep it simple... for now! i'll go with 1"... if I find I need more, I can always add the yet/dry next year or use the 1" for expansion and add the 1 1/4". I guess my next questions would be... my bender releaser has a 3/4" check valve going into the releaser... is it going to be fine if the 1" is reduced to 3/4" and then to the releaser, or should I be looking for a 1" check valve that goes directly into the releaser? would the 1" reduced to 3/4" at the releaser back up to much or would it work just fine?
Thanks for the help with this guys! sure is helping me make some choices easier!

lpakiz
05-31-2013, 07:33 AM
I have 3/4 inch going into my Bender and it works OK. However, there is only 209 taps there, and they are not hard runners. Ice will build up at that fitting, but I guess that will happen with whatever size mainline you use, if you start the pump a bit too early.