PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2x8 arch design

tmessier79
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi All,

I sold my 2x6 Waterloo drop flu at the end of this season, and just placed an order for new 2x8 raised flu pans from Thor. I sold my old rig with the intention of buying a whole new one, but found out that I can't afford it. So, I'm going to try to build a 2x8 arch myself. I spent some time searching this site and others for a standard 2x8 arch schematic, or design, but can't find one. I've seen some pretty awesome pictures that are posted of home made arches, but none that include measurements, or designs. Does anyone out there have the time to take detailed measurements of their 2x8 arch that was built standard by one of the big manufacturers and post with some pictures? Or anyone with a 2x8 home made arch that is willing to post their schematics with pictures? Thanks for any help you can provide.

jmayerl
05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1562
Here is the link to my build last winter. 1st off, I would just make some plans and not build until you have the pans. Small things like draw box clearances and drains can be problems if you don't know exactly how the pans look and sit. The dragon was a some what complex build but I really only had about 80 hours into building it, and 6 months in r&d. Granted, this arch was over 2k in material, if I had no blowers, just arch with galvanized sides and insulation I could make one for about $650.
If your really on the cheap, you could try to fing some lightly used angle iron, like bed frames, and save 300+ in steel.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-30-2013, 04:05 AM
Here is the link to my build last winter. 1st off, I would just make some plans and not build until you have the pans. Small things like draw box clearances and drains can be problems if you don't know exactly how the pans look and sit. The dragon was a some what complex build but I really only had about 80 hours into building it, and 6 months in r&d. Granted, this arch was over 2k in material, if I had no blowers, just arch with galvanized sides and insulation I could make one for about $650.
If your really on the cheap, you could try to fing some lightly used angle iron, like bed frames, and save 300+ in steel.
jmayerl is right, get your pans and go from there. I built a 2x6 arch not counting the blower I bought I had about 1200 to 1500 in steel another 495 for blower.
now the actual size of my arch is a 2x8 so the number above would be pretty close for you.

tmessier79
06-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Thanks, that's a good idea about the bed frames. You think they would be strong enough with no problems?

tmessier79
06-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Hi JM, I forgot to ask you in my last response, do you have any close up pics of your arch front you built. I was only able to view a thumbnail from sugarbushinfo. I'm having a hard time figuring out the design for the arch front and door.