PDA

View Full Version : How did all of you Minnesota sugarers come out?

buck3m
05-29-2013, 01:23 PM
It started out super slow for us, like many of you. About the time it should have been over for us, it started, and happily it was a very good run there for a while! Very pleased with how things went compared to how it was looking there for a while.

SadSams
05-29-2013, 05:23 PM
I think the 1st sap came about march 28th and finished up at the end of april. Yeah real late this year, but we ended up with 66.5 gallons. Previous high was 27 gallons.

sk8heaven
05-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Physically a tough year - 3 feet of snow to battle to get taps in and collect the first few times. The end of the year made up for it - over 3% sugar every day - never any super flow days but still made a fair amount. Pulled taps the last day of April only because I was scheduled to work 12 hour days 7 days a week so I knew I wouldn't have much time to sugar. Still was pleased with the results - 18 gallons of light amber :)

warners point
05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
We had our best year so far, finished with 38 gallons which was about all I cared to do. After last weekend I only have 6 quarts left. Now its time to figure out what to improve for next year.

RileySugarbush
05-30-2013, 10:22 PM
A great year here after a slow start. Switched from snowmobile to tractor and back a few times during the season. Final tally was 48 gallons which is a new record for us. We could have made another ten gallons of commercial easily, but I despise that stuff.

lastwoodsman
05-31-2013, 05:50 AM
With the season a month late and I have to coordinate vacation with work I learned a few things. I am hiring a high school kid to pick up sap for me next yr. Also I am investing in a RO to speed up boiling time. I ended up with about 20 gallons and that was due to a local friend picking up sap for me during one week. Going to add another 100 taps for next yr and plan on four day week-ends as well.
Three more years and I can retire and I am readying my small operation for that time.
The sap was running crazy, had I been there it would have been easy to make 150 gallons this yr.
Woodsman

mrnorthshore
05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
We ended up with 390 gallons. Almost all of it was fancy, or med amber no B this year at all. I might have to buy some. We have 1300 taps so it works out to .3 gallons per tap.

S&S Sugarbush
06-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Hello North Shore (Finland); We are North of Garrisson a few miles. With 84 taps we collected 960 gallaons. We dumped the last 120 gallons.
We Cooked 840 gallons (7 cooks) down to just under 22 gallons of syrup. The first cook was lighter, but the rest was 'B'.

Our best year ever!

Has any one out there built their own vacuum system? I need some ideas - would like to start with 25 -40 taps on one line.

lastwoodsman
06-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Hello North Shore (Finland); We are North of Garrisson a few miles. With 84 taps we collected 960 gallaons. We dumped the last 120 gallons.
We Cooked 840 gallons (7 cooks) down to just under 22 gallons of syrup. The first cook was lighter, but the rest was 'B'.

Our best year ever!

Has any one out there built their own vacuum system? I need some ideas - would like to start with 25 -40 taps on one line.

I built one from scratch and it does work fine. I have around 100 trees on it. I am going to add another roll of 3/4 inch mainline 400 ft this fall. Another 30 -50 trees.
Woodsman

Has any one out there built their own vacuum system? I need some ideas - would like to start with 25 -40 taps on one line.[/QUOTE]

lastwoodsman
06-01-2013, 06:55 PM
I am just south of Finlayson not to far if you would like to stop over for a tour. I need to get up to Lemmurs north of Millacs and see his operation.

Woodsman

mrnorthshore
06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
we have a wet dry line set up by besigned by leader, It seems like it works good. We run a masport dairy vac pump converted to flood and are able to pull 23-24" with no problems. We just added a 600 gph RO this year so I think thats part of the reason we got such light syrup. S&S sugarbush if your ever up on the northshore your welcome to stop by!

S&S Sugarbush
06-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the response.

I would very much like to see your operation. Specifically your homemade vacuum system.

My Wife's Uncle (he's 90+) lives in Finlayson AND we drive over EVERY WEEK to mow his lawn and do errands.

I am not on Facebook etc - but if you are still up for giving me a tour you can post here or email me at "bigpine@mlecmn.net"

PS: I am aquainted with George LeMiere's operation. He sold me some 4x4 storage tanks and an older Leader King E Evaporator that I plan to cut up for the SST.
His operation is VERY impressive! I think he has over 3000 taps - and with his new r/o they run about 300 gph through.

SadSams
07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
We ended up with 66 gallons. Best year so far.

Studhauler
02-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Last year about this time I decided to make maple syrup for the first time. I ID what I could of the maple trees on my 5 acres. I found a pan 2 x2 pan for sale on this site, the gentleman made a wood cove just to ship it to me, it was made of old barn wood and of better quality than most picture frames you buy at at big box store. I was going to boil on an old apartment size gas stove, but then I build a concrete block arch under the carport, and used the stove for preheating. I finished on the kitchen stove (gas) in the house.

When the season got it late start, I learned that boxelder was also a maple. I taped 6 boxelder and they flowed before my other 12 maples did. I kept the sap separate in two 30 gallon plastic barrel in an old deep freeze. I made 5 gallons of syrup total.

Hungry Beaver Sugar Camp
02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Hello from Motley;

New member as of a couple days ago. Very simple operation boiling on old converted oil tank. Can boil 40 gallons at a time. Last year tapped 93 trees and obtained 84 pints before we quit and pulled taps. I know we quit early. This year heading for 300 taps. Should be interesting.... My learning curve is going straight up....