PDA

View Full Version : Boumatic / Delaval FR3 rebuild

village idiot
05-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

I have a delaval FR3 pump that I am rebuilding. It sat in a milk barn for several years before I got it and used last season. It pulled 20" and ran great up until the last day when it developed a horrible squealing. I'm thinking the bearings went bad. I ordered replacement parts (bearings, seals, vanes) from an online dairy supply source. I have 2 questions.

1) there is a small wear groove on 1 end of the pump head where it looks like the end of a vane was rubbing. Will this be a problem that I need to fix before I put it back together? Should I just try to sand it flat?

2) on the drum itself, most of it is very smooth, but it feels like there is some slight rusting (it's not perfectly smooth) that probably occurred during the time it sat unused in the barn. Should I try to really lightly sand this down, or just leave well enough alone and let the vanes do their job.

I can post photos if need be.

Thanks for any advice/experience

BreezyHill
07-02-2013, 08:12 AM
post pics...but the casing damage is bad and will produce a leak situation; while the rust is not so bad. The rust could flake off and cause wear over time so do clean as much as possible.

Ben