PDA

View Full Version : Crossing a large ravine with a tubing system...

mwarren
05-25-2013, 06:38 PM
I have a 33 acre parcel of land that I am going to be tapping soon. My Sugarhouse will sit on a section that is about one acre deep and 8 acres long near the road. (I have almost 1800 feet of road frontage). The remaining 25 acres sits across a stream that flows 9 months of the year. The major issue, I have to cross the large ravine with my pipeline to get it close to where the Sugarhouse is going to be. The land on the other side of the ravine has a slight upward slope, and will work perfect for a tubing system. Once I cross the ravine, the land continues along the same slope down to where I will have a pump house (which will contain my tank, releaser, sap pump).

The ravine is about 30 feet deep and approximately 60 feet across. Has anyone crossed a ravine like this with a tubing system? I am worried that going that distance without mainline supports will cause the pipeline to sag resulting in a loss of vac. I have attached a map, its not exact, but gives you an idea. The blue line is the stream. The red lines are my property lines, and the yellow lines will be my main lines.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab124/mbaker96/2WwgC9ggrf1_zps26081703.jpg (http://s856.photobucket.com/user/mbaker96/media/2WwgC9ggrf1_zps26081703.jpg.html)

Little Ems Maples
05-25-2013, 06:59 PM
If you happen to have two good size trees on both side of the ravine ( not maples) you could use like 1/4 inch strand, make it bow string tight and lash your maine line to it. example would be like telephone lines. I work on cable lines and you can get that line pretty dorn stright.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
05-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Could insert 10-12 ft telephone poles on each side of ravine if no good trees. I like the cable idea. I have one place where I already span around 150-200 ft across a ravine. I used #12 wire with ratchets on it. Plus I hung one side 5ft higher than the other to make sure it sloped enough. I don't like how mine is set up really. It works since I have a dry line to the other side of the ravine to transfer good vacuum. Dry line is a big help. I am going with telephone poles buried 5-6 ft deep and 2 cables for wet and dry lines to set up a new run across the same ravine in another place.

mwarren
05-25-2013, 09:34 PM
I have scoped it out a bit and there are trees (beech and Ash) on both sides of the ravine. I wasn't sure if I could get wire tight enough but you are right, 1/4 inch could get really tight just like on telephone poles. Would I just buy that at any hardware store? I think I have seen it at Home Depot before. Is it the same? The same stuff you would use to make a Dog run, or a kids zip line with? What would I put on both ends to really crank it tight? Should I use a "come-a-long" or just a wire tensioner on each end?

I am thinking that I will have my mainline wire run from my sugarbush to the ravine on one side, then I will run my mainline wire to my pump house on the other side . Then I will use the 1/4 wire in between the two sections. This way I can lash a section of pipeline to the cable on the ground before I string it across the ravine. Then I will use quick couplings to connect both side together. Does that sound like a good way to do it?

Thanks for the advice!

TRAILGUY
05-26-2013, 05:21 AM
know anyone at the telephone co. they have the perfect tool for that. I have done 2 1 1/2" cables on same cable

maple flats
05-26-2013, 06:56 AM
You can get the cable at any place that sells electric supplies to run a main entrance into a home. For the ends get the pre formed eye loops (they curl around the end of the cable to form an eye, they have grit imbedded on them to grip the cable and they are gauge specific) With these on you can pull as hard as you need to and they will not slip. The utility companies use them. The essential part will be getting the right length guy cable. It will not stretch. When installing they must anchor to very sturdy anchor posts, whatever you use. Then anchor to one end, by installing a thru bolt with an eye. It must be heavy galvanized to last (made specifically for anchoring electric guy lines), join the eye of the cable with a strong clevis or an appropriate electric guy joiner. If you use the strong clevis, safety wire the bold using SS safety wire, ar at last strong heavy galv. wire, to prevent the bolt from loosening and failing. Then do the same on the other end, but this time you need a cable grip or extra cable to go past the anchor with an eye both at the anchor point and at the end to pull with a strong winch, a heavy tractor, or other mechanical means to get it tight enough. After getting both ends anchored, you can final tighten some more by turning the eye bolt nuts on more if needed.

maple flats
05-26-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm not sure either of those trees are a great choice. Sometimes Beech dies quickly and it rots fast, and Emerald Ash Borer is going to kill the ask trees, it is rapidly approaching. You will be better off if you get short utility poles and set them at 6' or better 7' in the ground. They will last 30+ years and will not die and rot or get uprooted.

mwarren
05-26-2013, 08:41 PM
I like the idea of the telephone poles too. I don't know anyone at the phone/electric company though. Anyone here have any friends that could hook me up with a pole or two?

I could also anchor them on maple trees that are near by. I was hoping not to use any maples, but I could if I needed too.

Thanks again for all the info.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
05-27-2013, 06:56 PM
QUOTE=mwarren;225944]I like the idea of the telephone poles too. I don't know anyone at the phone/electric company though. Anyone here have any friends that could hook me up with a pole or two?

I could also anchor them on maple trees that are near by. I was hoping not to use any maples, but I could if I needed too.

Thanks again for all the info.[/QUOTE]

MWarren. You are in Huntington, yes? If so, you can go to the fairpoint communications in Middlesex and ask, or probably other like utility company. At Fairpoint, there are several shorts, or cut poles that are only 10' +/- and are free. Or little cost.

Little Ems Maples
05-28-2013, 05:22 PM
i dont have any telephone poles but i do have the wire and tools to put it up. maybe we could work out a trade or something to put it up for ya.

hags
05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
I'd go rigid PVC suspended across the ravine from a zip line...if that cable ever sags, your main line will also....
You can buy zipline and attachments from many online zipline sources.
Check out some of the zipline installs on YouTube, you'll note it's really hard to get a cable really tight and maintain that tightness...

hags