PDA

View Full Version : RO Energy use

68bird
05-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Okay, so now the NCRS has me thinking of getting an RO. Now I am wondering how much electricity I will be useing vs free wood(not labor free LOL) I am looking at a 125, or a 250 GPH at most. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance, Doug

nymapleguy607
05-23-2013, 04:12 AM
The ro will save you more than just wood. The ro will run without you needing to be there to babysit an evaporator. You can be hauling more sap or working in the woods or many other things. Cost wise for electric would be fairly low compared to the cost of your time cutting wood.

tuckermtn
05-23-2013, 06:00 AM
during maple season our electric bill is about double what it is in a non-RO month. I have never accurately figured it out, but I am guessing I run my RO 230-250 hours per season. we typically use 20 KWH a day for a total of around 600 per month when not using the RO. so average of 38-40kwh per day in season. but the RO doesn't run every day. so not sure if my back of the napkin math is helpful.

all I know is the electricity it takes to run the RO for the season I can make up for by selling 3 gallons of syrup retail. Way cheap for what you get for it...

68bird
05-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Thanks guys, sounds like a no brainer!

philkasza
05-23-2013, 06:52 AM
In our system of 3700 taps it cost us a couple hundred to run the RO all season but with it we reduce our boiling time from 625 hrs. to 130 hrs. We don't burn wood, we use fuel oil so we saved at least $20,000 of fuel plus time. So in my mind the RO cost nothing at all to run. The little bit of electric for the RO will very quickly be covered if you do the math and figure about 1/4 to 1/3 fuel usage for the evap. Also my two cents is, don't undersize your RO, figure probably 10-20% less GPH than what they sell it as. For example, on a 250gph you may get 200 if the sap is cold and depending how high you concentrate. Simply, oversize the rig and run it comfortably compared to undersize and push it all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samuel