PDA

View Full Version : Vermont apparenty will be going ahead with New Grading System

delivron
05-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Based upon the Vermont legislative site you can expect the rest of the states fall in line with the new grading system.

J.R.S. 14

Title: JOINT RESOLUTION SUPPORTING THE AGENCY OF AGRICULTURE, FOOD AND MARKETS’ PROPOSAL TO ADOPT AN ADMINISTRATIVE RULE TO IMPLEMENT INTERNATIONAL MAPLE GRADING STANDARDS IN VERMONT
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/status/summary.cfm?Bill=JRS014&Session=2014

The new grading system is explained here:
http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/files/Revised_Grading_System.pdf

wiam
05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Henry Marcus told us at a state directors meeting on the first it was a go and new system should be ready to go January 1.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-21-2013, 09:11 PM
they are all sheeple

TheMapleMoose
05-22-2013, 04:39 AM
Is the general opinion that this is a good thing or bad thing?

wiam
05-22-2013, 04:42 AM
I believe it is a good thing to have every one on the same page with all customers.

maplwrks
05-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Now it is time to educate the producers as to what good syrup should taste like. It might be "Golden Delicate" but if it tastes like ****---it's not delicate!!

TheMapleMoose
05-22-2013, 06:57 AM
For Vermonters, does this mean what was once GRADE B can now be sold as GRADE A VERY DARK for retail? Seems like a very good thing in that regard.

maple2
05-22-2013, 07:20 AM
i still like the term "Fancy" even though Ma. hasnt used it in years. I know Vt. has a hard time giving it up. I am still going to use it when i bottle up my best of my best. because thats what it is. Fancy

GeneralStark
05-22-2013, 09:06 AM
It's about time. I see no problem with this new system, and in fact I think it is good for the consumer. I have many customers that like dark syrup and now I will be able to sell them the good flavored dark syrup I make. Vt fancy will still be Vt fancy. I do agree though that this change will make it more critical for producers to understand what "good flavor" is.

maple flats
05-22-2013, 09:08 AM
That's OK as long as you also use the new grading system too. As I understand it there will be an overlap before the new is mandatory, but realize that the break points are not the same. This will be more confusing if you try to use both. I see this as a plus for all, since we will not be confusing the customer with the whole array of grade terms from Vermont, Quebec, New Your, Mass., etc with several different names for the same thing. Once Mass adopts the new, please use it even if you also chose to call it Fancy too!
Dave

Maplewalnut
05-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Not sure I like it. Dont care about the 'fancy' side of things since I have sold none and have had no one request any light or fancy in more than three years now. I wind up using my light for candy. I am however a little concerned over removing 'B grade' designation. Fad diets and other internet communications have done marketing wonders for B syrup sales and honestly because I am out of the New England syrup belt, people are more apt to buy a more robust flavorful tasting syrup than a cultural ingrained light color. They dont care if it is A medium, dark, extra dark....In some respects the multiple A designations are confusing in itself. B is B is B, no B light, B medium or B dark. Maybe I will hold out and watch my B sales to vermonters soar thru the roof..LOL

Dave Y
05-22-2013, 03:12 PM
While the B designation will be gone, that does not mean your sales should be also. As a producer it is your job to educate the consumer as to what they are buying. Dark syrup is dark syrup.We should be explaining the grade system to our customers. I realize we can not reach everyone personally, word of mouth will do the rest . I like the new grade system. however I have not been making syrup for all my life. It will be hard for some folks that have set ideas on how things should be. all I can say is keep an open mid about it, I believe it will help our industry.

rchase
05-22-2013, 05:20 PM
I know a couple old time Vermonters who will dead if you take away there fancy syrup.

Moser's Maple
05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
just to set the record straight once and for all.......nobody is taking away "vermont fancy" syrup. under the new grading standards there will be a new name for fancy, but vermonters will be able to still use the vermont fancy label in conjuction with the new labels. what you will discover is that more syrups will qualify as a light designation syrup. so some of that light medium under the old standards may infact qualify as "golden" under the new standards. some producers have been using the new labels and have had a well received feedback from the public. with the new standards Joe Smoe for Bloe will now know exactly what to expect form the syrup he is buying. The new standards are not for us harden vertern syrup makers, or our long term customers that know maple, instead it is to let the general public more aware of what the different types of syrup can offer. It is no different than when you purchase a lets say wine. Many askswhat is tastes like, sweet or dry, red or white, and so on. the new standards should not be thought as a hinderence, but a breath of fresh air in knowing that our speciality crop in now getting international recognition and we must better define our product to those who are not familar with maple. if you want to fight the new standards, then you might as well take down all your tubing and go back to buckets( that's what happened with the first lamb tubing stating that is didn't create the same quality syrup), because you are fighting a badly needed change that the maple indusrty needs.

wiam
05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
just to set the record straight once and for all.......nobody is taking away "vermont fancy" syrup. under the new grading standards there will be a new name for fancy, but vermonters will be able to still use the vermont fancy label in conjuction with the new labels. what you will discover is that more syrups will qualify as a light designation syrup. so some of that light medium under the old standards may infact qualify as "golden" under the new standards. some producers have been using the new labels and have had a well received feedback from the public. with the new standards Joe Smoe for Bloe will now know exactly what to expect form the syrup he is buying. The new standards are not for us harden vertern syrup makers, or our long term customers that know maple, instead it is to let the general public more aware of what the different types of syrup can offer. It is no different than when you purchase a lets say wine. Many askswhat is tastes like, sweet or dry, red or white, and so on. the new standards should not be thought as a hinderence, but a breath of fresh air in knowing that our speciality crop in now getting international recognition and we must better define our product to those who are not familar with maple. if you want to fight the new standards, then you might as well take down all your tubing and go back to buckets( that's what happened with the first lamb tubing stating that is didn't create the same quality syrup), because you are fighting a badly needed change that the maple indusrty needs.

Well actually the light transmission for Golden will be exactly the same as Fancy.

jrgagne99
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
I like that people won't think they are getting sub-standard syrup becasue of the "B" moniker. Would you want "Grade B Steak", or "Grade B Fish"? Calling it all "Grade A" is good.

But... thinking out loud, it's sorta useless if all the retail grades get labeled as "Grade A", becuase it implies that there is a grade B, C, etc... Why not get rid of "Grade A" altogether, and just use the color/flavor descriptors?

Moser's Maple
05-23-2013, 04:56 PM
sorry dark is going from 27% to 25%

brookledge
05-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Most of us know that making the lightest syrup is something you need to work for. You just don't make it by being sloppy etc. So we the producers like to take pride in making lighter syrup than others. But the average consumer doesn't care about that. I have had customers ask me what Fancy is and I tell them that it is considered the best by some and they reply that they want nothing to do with it since they like the bolder flavors that the darker syrups offer. And I understand those that know what they want when they say grade B. But there is probably more who think grade B is substandard since many other industries use that term as being lesser quality. So while I feel it is going to take a lot of education to re train our customers I feel in the long run the consumer will be able understand the grading system easier. Where ever you go the grades and terminoligy will be the same.
Keith

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Not sure I like it. Dont care about the 'fancy' side of things since I have sold none and have had no one request any light or fancy in more than three years now. I wind up using my light for candy. I am however a little concerned over removing 'B grade' designation. Fad diets and other internet communications have done marketing wonders for B syrup sales and honestly because I am out of the New England syrup belt, people are more apt to buy a more robust flavorful tasting syrup than a cultural ingrained light color. They dont care if it is A medium, dark, extra dark....In some respects the multiple A designations are confusing in itself. B is B is B, no B light, B medium or B dark. Maybe I will hold out and watch my B sales to vermonters soar thru the roof..LOL

I do believe here in vt you can"lower" your grade of syrup lets say A medium to B but cant go from A medium to fancy, so I have 150 gal of B hehehe

jrgagne99
05-24-2013, 08:04 AM
As I understand it, that is not the case in NH. Your grades need to be spot on. If you graded to light or too dark, you have potential problems with the inspector.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
As I understand it, that is not the case in NH. Your grades need to be spot on. If you graded to light or too dark, you have potential problems with the inspector.
JK about 150 of B, I not reallly sure about grading down, I know you cant grade up

GeneralStark
06-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Has anyone found a good, basic description of the new grading system that can be easily shared by a url link? I have a good pdf, but would like an easily shared description.

DrTimPerkins
06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Has anyone found a good, basic description of the new grading system that can be easily shared by a url link? I have a good pdf, but would like an easily shared description.

http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/projects--services.html

GeneralStark
06-07-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/projects--services.html

Thanks for that. It would be nice if the description were actually legible though.

Dave Y
06-07-2013, 05:18 PM
click on the description card and it will super size.